Not filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
Ok.. just to start off so we are on the same page... I really am not enjoying making wine.. Beer I can't get enough of.. but this is my first wine kit and I havent enjoyed any of it.. It was just a cheap store bought 7L kit.. I did everything right (I think) up till now... I am suppose to filter tonight according to the instructions.. so I borrowed my bosses filter..

I spent alot of time cleaning it and he told me to filter a few gallons of water to get me used to it and to get rid of some of the new filter taste..

As I tried this I kept blowing the rubber carboy cap off.. Anyways.. this made my decision final to not filter.. Dont want a mess.. and dont want to break my bosses filter..

Not asking for anyone to talk me back into it but just curious if many people do not filter their white wines.... or even if any people prefer not to.. (hoping I can find a reason to not do it besides just hating doing it.. )

I've never filtered any wines, and I don't plan to start. I usually just let them bulk age for a while, after they are clear, and then bottle. No problems. I know that filtering can provide some polish to already clear wines, but I can certainly live without that polish!

I think that If there is a "need" to filter...there is a "Need" to let it sit a bit longer to finish clearing.

I have mead and wine that sometimes needs some help...but it certainly finishes to a "Star Bright" product. No filters in my house.

I think that If there is a "need" to filter...there is a "Need" to let it sit a bit longer to finish clearing.

I have mead and wine that sometimes needs some help...but it certainly finishes to a "Star Bright" product. No filters in my house.

I once had to filter in order to rescue a cyser infected with flowers of wine. The sterile filter pads worked well after a good dose of sulfites. If it were just a matter of clarity, I agree with you on waiting 100% Regards, GF. :)

perfect.. Im so glad that people dont filter cause I really dont want to.. lol... My boss says that the filter takes the rest of the air out of the wine too.. my wine is degassed (airlock center thingy is down).. so you dont think I will have any trouble blowing corks once I bottle?..

also... the kit says to bottle after 14 days (not 14 total but 14 from the last step I did).. its been sitting about a month... I was going to leave it longer.. any worrys about the yeast cake ruining it?.

Thanks all..

perfect.. Im so glad that people dont filter cause I really dont want to.. lol... My boss says that the filter takes the rest of the air out of the wine too.. my wine is degassed (airlock center thingy is down).. so you dont think I will have any trouble blowing corks once I bottle?..

also... the kit says to bottle after 14 days (not 14 total but 14 from the last step I did).. its been sitting about a month... I was going to leave it longer.. any worrys about the yeast cake ruining it?.

Thanks all..

When you make a kit, it's pretty important to follow the degassing step. Just because the airlock isn't showing pressure doesn't mean the wine isn't gassy. If you take a sample out and put it in a glass and cover it with your hand and give it a shake, it'll let you know if it's gassy or not. You should NOT bottle a gassy wine. Filtering is a different step than degassing- you don't have to filter, but you'd better degas.

Your kit should have instructions, and one of the steps will be how to degas and clarify while it's still on the lees. Then, you rack and can either bottle or bulk age. If you're already racked it off the lees and topped up the carboy, then it can stay where it is for quite a while, but it sounds like you missed a step if it hasn't been degassed.

Usually, the kit tells you when/how to degas, and then has you add the clarifiers. Then, you rack off to the carboy and top up to the top to prevent it from oxidation.

Forget about following the directions included with the kit about degassing... use a brake bleeder vacuum pump instead. These are cheap, easy to use, and available at just about any car parts store.

It's amazing how much gas is in wine.

I don't filter my wine but apply a couple rounds of chitosan then rack, Chitosan then rack, etc.

When you make a kit, it's pretty important to follow the degassing step. Just because the airlock isn't showing pressure doesn't mean the wine isn't gassy. If you take a sample out and put it in a glass and cover it with your hand and give it a shake, it'll let you know if it's gassy or not. You should NOT bottle a gassy wine. Filtering is a different step than degassing- you don't have to filter, but you'd better degas.

Your kit should have instructions, and one of the steps will be how to degas and clarify while it's still on the lees. Then, you rack and can either bottle or bulk age. If you're already racked it off the lees and topped up the carboy, then it can stay where it is for quite a while, but it sounds like you missed a step if it hasn't been degassed.

Usually, the kit tells you when/how to degas, and then has you add the clarifiers. Then, you rack off to the carboy and top up to the top to prevent it from oxidation.

I guess I didnt say it right.. I did follow all the steps for degassing that came with my kit.. Was very careful with that step.. I was just told that if the airlock thing is still up then for sure I did not completely degass it.. but if it is down it is a sign that I did.. I stirred the wine for a few days like the instructions said.. and the guy at the LHBS said to also shake the wine.. I did this too..

I guess I didnt say it right.. I did follow all the steps for degassing that came with my kit.. Was very careful with that step.. I was just told that if the airlock thing is still up then for sure I did not completely degass it.. but if it is down it is a sign that I did.. I stirred the wine for a few days like the instructions said.. and the guy at the LHBS said to also shake the wine.. I did this too..

Ahhh, gotcha! If it's been degassed and topped up, it can stay in the carboy or be bottled, which ever you prefer.

Back