not drinking it fast enough - how long can my cider sit on lees in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I fermented 5x 5-gallon batches of cider from local orchard juice this fall. I'm not sure of the exact varieties, but they're mostly a mix of culinary apples, not cider-apple trees. I pitched commercial yeast strains in 4 of the 5 batches and allowed the last batch to naturally ferment with the wild yeast present. My basement temperature was in the low to mid 60s during fermentation and is now in the mid-50s in winter. Starting gravity was 1.050 and I didn't add any extra sugar.

I've kegged two batches and started drinking the first one. I back-sweetened with FAJC and the flavor is good - if a bit one-dimensional. Certainly a crisp refreshing alternative to beer.

Problem is I have 3 homebrews on tap that are equally good so it's taking me awhile to drink down the cider inventory. My friends look at me funny when I offer them cider and most won't even try it, while chugging down the homebrew beer by the pint.

So I have 3x 5-gallon batches of cider sitting on the gross lees in glass carboys. Juice level is filled up to the neck, one-piece airlock with Star-San kept full.

How long can I safely let these sit before kegging and consuming? Months? Years? Will it improve in complexity for some period, then begin to degrade? Should I rack to secondary at any point, or leave it sitting on the yeast cake until ready to keg?

I wouldnt say years, thats for sure. I had a cider lost on a shelf in the basement when i stopped brewing 5 or 6 years ago. I found it a few weeks back and said to myself, im going to try it! anddddddd it was more like apple cider vinegar. If you mixed 2 parts cider and 1 part vinegar, thats how it tasted. It was supposed to be a cherry apply cider. Could u maybe do black velvets to help get rid of it. a local bar calls floating guinness on top of cider a black velvet. The magic is where the cider and guinness meet. i also usually do closer to 3/4 cider to guinness for aesthetics because if u do a 1/2 and 1/2 the guinness color takes over.

example
https://i.imgur.com/5AcIu8a.jpg

black.velvet.jpg

Back