Not dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm about to start kegging for the first time, and I set up the CO2, regulator and keg. I have 5G of sanitizer in the keg right now and have everything connected, with the pressure to the keg about 10psi. I know there's CO2 going into the keg because I get CO2 out when I pull the release on the keg. However, I'm not getting any liquid when I depress the handle on the picnic tap. Help!

Grab a towel, hold it over the Out post, and depress the poppet. Expect a sanitizer shower. If you don't get one there's something plugging the Out dip tube or the post.

Assuming the shower happened, make sure you are fully engaging the liquid disconnect all the way down on the Out post. Make sure the disconnect locking collar is all the way down. A partially engaged disconnect may well keep either the post poppet or the disconnect plunger from opening.

[continuing]

Just in case, make sure the stem of the disconnect plunger didn't get snapped off. That could explain the conundrum.

Finally, if you're certain the connection to the keg is functional you can always unscrew the valve from the picnic tap. At that point you simply have a hose connected to the disconnect connected to the Out post, so don't be surprised if you get a gush of sanitizer out the end...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Grab a towel, hold it over the Out post, and depress the poppet. Expect a sanitizer shower. If you don't get one there's something plugging the Out dip tube or the post.

Assuming the shower happened, make sure you are fully engaging the liquid disconnect all the way down on the Out post. Make sure the disconnect locking collar is all the way down. A partially engaged disconnect may well keep either the post poppet or the disconnect plunger from opening...

Cheers!
Thanks, you've been really helpful on this journey. The poppet I assume is the small post in the middle. Unfortunately my kit didn't come with any real assembly instructions--I think I just press the connector down onto the post? And the disconnect locking collar is the free-floating ring around it? I don't think I pressed that down. I'll give it a try.

The disconnect should latch on with a snap. I pull the locking ring up while pushing the body down on the post then let the ring snap down. Use a bit of water on the post o-ring as lubricant, makes engaging a bit easier...

Cheers!

...OK, I figured it out. There weren't any instructions saying I needed to pull up on the locking collar when I put it on the post, so I was just pushing it down. Pulled the ring up, put it on and released, and am clearly getting a connection now...because water is spraying out where it connects to the tubing. May have to pull off their connector and add my own worm gear so I can tighten it.

Back