Not carbed enough for the party tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
Planned on taking my first kegged batch to a Xmas party tonight but it's not quite carbed enough. I've had it on 28 PSI since Friday night ~65 degrees, did the roll on the floor technique and then let it sit. Purged the keg a minute ago and set to serving pressure, pulled a pint and its not where I want it. So can I keep it at 11PSI and it'll eventually get to a carbonation level that I want or should I increase the pressure?

Because of the temp, your CO2 volume will be about 2.46. At 28 PSI your beer would likely be pretty well carbonated if it were at serving temp. See the chart linked below.
So yes, you can leave it at 11 psi and use the set and forget it method. It takes longer. I know I got an IPA to carb In 3 days at 30 psi without shaking. The keg was at 38.
I don't know if it can be ready now though.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I follow Biermuncher's advice for fast forced carbonation.

1. Cold Beer. (mine is at 38F)
2. 36 hours at 30 psi (I sometimes let it go to 40 hours)
3. Do not shake the keg
3. Disconnect CO2, Purge keg's headspace of pressure
4. Dial the regulator back to serving pressure/desired pressure for carbonation (for me thats 8-12 psi dependent on style

Result: Correctly carbonated beer

This method works like a charm for me. I tried the set it and forget it for a week or so. (it worked but I want a faster result). I did the 30psi with shaking. Result was over carbonated beer. For me a 36 hour wait is acceptable.

Yes I referenced this chart when I put it on CO2 but it doesn't say approximately how long to keep that PSI before it reaches the desired vol of CO2. Now I can't say what 2.46 vol. tastes/feels like but after 1.5 days I feel that it could use a little more bubbly. My keezer is still a freezer right now so it will stay around 65 degrees. Thanks for the reply, I know it won't be ready tonight and that's ok but I'd also planned on sharing later this week with friends so hopefully at 11PSI it'll be ready for them.

Secondary question: if it'll be ready later this week on 11PSI what keeps the beer from continuing to take on CO2 volumes past the desired level?

I follow Biermuncher's advice for fast forced carbonation.

1. Cold Beer. (mine is at 38F)
2. 36 hours at 30 psi (I sometimes let it go to 40 hours)
3. Do not shake the keg
3. Disconnect CO2, Purge keg's headspace of pressure
4. Dial the regulator back to serving pressure/desired pressure for carbonation (for me thats 8-12 psi dependent on style

Result: Correctly carbonated beer

This method works like a charm for me. I tried the set it and forget it for a week or so. (it worked but I want a faster result). I did the 30psi with shaking. Result was over carbonated beer. For me a 36 hour wait is acceptable.

Sure, 36hrs is nothing compared to bottling. Looks like the key here is to have the keg a serving temps? I don't have it in the keezer yet

Yes. Cold liquids will absorb gasses more rapidly than hotter ones at any given pressure.

Sorry my advice does not help you as the party is in a few hours. There are methods to carb the beer really fast with shaking at even higher psi settings. Not much margin of error though. Very easy to get 5 gallons if foam. I'm no expert. Stick with Biermuncher's approach in future and you will be happy.

Back