Not Brewing....YET!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Cardoza

Reaction score
My brother and I have decided to start brewing. At this point we are just gathering supplies. Joined up here because I always do tons of research before jumping in to any decision. Money isn’t as much of a deciding factor, more just doing things right the first time. Likely going for an all in one electric (220v) system. Suggestions welcome.

Welcome to HBT!
My suggestion is to purchase a cheap (secondhand if available) system to brew on first (eg. Pot and bag for BIAB or cooler, bazooka screen and pot for simple 2v system) OR join with some other brewers to do a few brews. That way, you'll know if you enjoy brewing and want to fork out for an expensive system, and have a better idea of what equipment you might want. IMO you're better off initially directing funds to a temperature controlled ferment chamber than to an expensive brewing setup.

I agree, go simple/cheap to test the waters for a few brewdays to make sure you enjoy the process

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been keeping an eye out for second hand equipment. I didn’t mean to imply I was going to drop 2k on an initial setup, more that I have fairly limited space and don’t really want to buy a whole bunch of individual stuff I have to worry about storing. I have a 220 outlet in my garage already so that seemed like the best way to go. Any recommendations on a temp controlled fermenting chamber?

Welcome Darren. Good for you, doing some research. I think many brewers find a used fridge or chest freezer that they modify... I use a “swamp cooler” in my air conditioned home. It an imprecise method but is helpful.

Last edited:
Idk I’ll guess I’ll go against the grain. If you’re sure that this is something you’ll love and money isn’t much of a factor just buy the system. I wish I did that. I’ve probably spent $500 or do building a simple system. I wish I just bought the grainfather from the beginning. I want automation for consistency to dial in my recipes.

Welcome to our crazy little obsession, er.....hobby. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people here when it comes to brewing. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Cheers. :mug:

i went straight from a failed extract batch, to all-grain, kegging....20 years later i can brew a 90 cent twelve pack! (8%)

Welcome! God Bless Jimmy Carter (and Alan Cranston) for allowing me to make cheap drugs!

My brother and I have decided to start brewing. At this point we are just gathering supplies. Joined up here because I always do tons of research before jumping in to any decision. Money isn’t as much of a deciding factor, more just doing things right the first time. Likely going for an all in one electric (220v) system. Suggestions welcome.

I'd recommend beginning with a basic brew. Use whatever pots, etc are already owned or able to borrow. Determine if you REALLY enjoy the hobby. Only then spend money for learning, additional equipment, etc.

Welcome to our crazy little obsession, er.....hobby. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people here when it comes to brewing. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Cheers. :mug:

I’ve definitely headed down a rabbit hole. I helped a buddy who brewed a few times with one of those “beer in a box” kits but it didn’t do much for me. Reminds me of when my wife orders dinners from Blue Apron. Comes with pre-measured ingredients and you just follow instructions. We’ve cooked things we never would have otherwise, but it doesn’t make me a chef.
Things I’m looking for:
Smaller footprint. I’m limited to a corner in my garage and have a few empty shelves for supplies
Versatility. Start with basics but have ability to evolve as skills and knowledge increase.
Safe. No need to burn the house down or cause an electrical fire.
Avoid cheap Chinese crap. Usually high on features, lower on cost and breaks in a couple months.

I also contacted a semi local brew club about helping out on a brew day so we’ll see where that goes.

I’ve definitely headed down a rabbit hole. I helped a buddy who brewed a few times with one of those “beer in a box” kits but it didn’t do much for me. Reminds me of when my wife orders dinners from Blue Apron. Comes with pre-measured ingredients and you just follow instructions. We’ve cooked things we never would have otherwise, but it doesn’t make me a chef.
Things I’m looking for:
Smaller footprint. I’m limited to a corner in my garage and have a few empty shelves for supplies
Versatility. Start with basics but have ability to evolve as skills and knowledge increase.
Avoid cheap Chinese crap. Usually high on features, lower on cost and breaks in a couple months.

OK. I didn't know/realize you've had some experience.

Take the boxed recipes and add a bit of specialty grain. Steeped or baked in the oven and then steeped. Changes the boxed kits dramatically.

Welcome to the hobby. I really enjoy this hobby as I never stop learning. There are some very, very intelligent and clever folks at HBT.

Things I’m looking for:

I'm currently faced with the same situation. I moved into a manufactured home community last April, so I'm lacking a garage where I'd be able put together a system with all the bells, buzzers and whistles. I've been looking at some of the electric brewing rigs like the Grainfather and the Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil. After looking at the pros and cons, I'm leaning towards the Brewer's Edge. Seems to be a simple, no frills set up that does exactly what the name implies, without having to spend an obscene amount of money right off the bat.

You mentioned limited storage space. If you have a LHBS, they will probably sell you milled grain in the exact amounts you will need for a brew. That cuts down on the storage space needed, as well as protection for grains (humidity/pests).

Back