Not all bottles carbonated ... Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent Brew

Reaction score
I bottled an IPA using 2/3 cup of corn sugar. I boiled the sugar in 1 cup of water for 10 min then added it the bottling bucket. I then racked the beer into the bottling bucket. After two weeks at 65-70 deg, I moved the bottles to the fridge. I tried 5 bottles after two weeks in fridge. Only one was well carbonated and held a thick head. The others were almost flat and little to no head.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Is it possible my capper is not creating a proper seal? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

That could be it, I normally don't mix. I just rack the beer into the bucket. I assumed the swirling of the beer from the tube was enough. Next time I will mix it well. Thanks.

Could be that they will carbonate, they just haven't yet. I'd always check at least a few bottles, one at a time in the fridge, before assuming the whole batch had carbonated.

Yeah, I'd add another vote toward "wait another week at room temp". I had a nut brown ale, I tried it after 1 week = mostly flat & very sweet, 2 weeks = pretty flat & some sweet, 3 weeks = nice head, tasted like a nut brown ale

My exact quote after trying the "2-week" beer was "If the whole batch ends up like this and doesn't get any better, I will be disappointed." Luckily, that was not the case :D

Back