NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone use Rum instead of Bourbon?
I am thinking about using a nice dark rum in place of the bourbon.

I did and didn't really like it at all. I used Zaya which is an excellent Rum, but the flavor didn't transfer at all like I thought it would. Stick with Bourbon.

I love Zaya. I would never "waste" it on beer. I was thinking more of a dark Rum like Meyers, Goslings or Kraken.

I just brewed this up yesterday. I am going to use george dickel #12 in mine I think it should turn out ok.

Just opened one up after 5 weeks in the bottle. Starting to get some nice carbonation. Nice tan foam. Amazing taste. A few more weeks and this thing will be stellar.

Tried my hand at a 2.5 gallon batch of this recipe over the weekend. Had my first real SNAFU since I began brewing - I burned the LME that I added with 15 minutes to go. Stupid. I had taken it off the burner but not completely and after adding the LME it smelled burnt. I tasted the OG wort sample and got he same burnt taste.

Still, if I'm going to scorch the malt extract I suppose the B.B. Porter is about as good a recipe to pick to do it in.

Put this in a mason jar last night 1.25 oz oak chips to 14oz ish makers. How long to soak and can I add it all (chips+makers) to corny as my secondary? Then should I take chips out after week or so?

image-598888701.jpg

Hi All,

I've been wondering around the site for the past few weeks reading and researching all I can for my first brew which is going to be the BBP. Thank you everyone for the HUGE amounts of help an info on here. So far I have decided:
1. Make and use a starter
2. Oxygenate before pitching
3. Going to Soak my oak in a full bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon then add a vanilla bean or two about a week before I pitch to secondary
4. condition 3 weeks in secondary before pitching bourbon mix
5. condition about a month on bourbon before bottling
6. reduce priming sugar to about 3.5 ounces
7. Bottle condition for 10-12 months

Now... I have been researching and would like to add some oatmeal for that nice creamy smooth mouthfeel, but I dont know if it's possible with an extract.

I found this on Plamer's site: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html but no indication on how to with an extract.

Any thoughts?

So I'm curious, how does the Makers taste after oak is in it for a week? I can't imagine wasting damn good bourbon!

I racked my BB Porter to the Beer Machine for two weeks. There's a lot of more headspace than I'd like but I'm just going to stay the course as this point. At the same time I put 8 oz of Jim Beam in a mason jar with 1 oz of heavy wood chips. This weekend I'll dump it all in and then leave it for two more weeks before I bottle. Not sure how this'll all play out but I'm excited to taste the result regardless!

To use the oatmeal, I believe you would need to partial mash with something that had enzymes that would convert the starch in the oatmeal to sugar. You would need some base malt with the oatmeal.

My first brew, I was so wrapped up in figuring water volumes and timing, I am glad I did not do a partial mash. I would also have found it impossible to wait several months to check my work.

Welcome to the hobby. Good luck on your first brew.

Put this in a mason jar last night 1.25 oz oak chips to 14oz ish makers. How long to soak and can I add it all (chips+makers) to corny as my secondary? Then should I take chips out after week or so?

View attachment 161968

I put woodford reserve and oak chips in canning jar for two weeks then added to secondary about two weeks before kegging it. Left chips in carboy. Tasted great with nice hints of bourbon all the way to the end of the keg.

My update... I let the chips soak for a week in MM then dumped everything into corny. Then pulled chips out of corny after another week so I wouldn't over oak it. (Don't know if this is good/bad) but it's what I did. I haven't sampled yet as keezer is still filled with other kegs so letting it wait till one space frees up. Been drinking chocolate vanilla bean Porter in meantime! Can't wait to carb and try out!

Finally going to bottle this badboy tonight. No idea if it'll be good or not but we'll find out soon!

Bottling went smoothly and if the sample I took was any indication, this beer is gonna be delish. Despite scorching the LME, the burnt taste has really faded. The bourbon and oak flavors are definitely noticeable but not overpowering.

I left it in primary for three weeks, then I transferred it to secondary (the fabled Beer Machine) for two weeks. When I transferred I also put the oak chips and bourbon in a mason jar. After two weeks I added the bourbon/oak chips to the secondary and left for another two weeks then bottled.

I just transferred to my secondary after about 3 weeks in the primary. My readings have been stuck at 1.021 for the last 5 days. I tasted my measurement sample and it was fizzy(carbonated?) and did not taste good like others have mentioned. The last time I measured it it had no fizz but the same taste. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

How long should this sit in the bottle before it is in it's prime?

I bottled this recipe back in late October and so far it tastes like liquid ***hole. Almost undrinkable but not really infectiony or anything. This was my first time using dry yeast(Danstar Windsor Ale) so maybe I messed something up there.

Mine was ok after a month but after 6 everything mellowed out. Give it time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Tried my first bottle about a month after bottling. Tasted FANTASTIC. Slight Bourbon finish but not at all powerful. Very happy about that! But I was disappointed on the carbonation. I used 3.5 oz of primer but figured after a month it would be more carbonated. Am I stuck or will it carb up some more?

Mine has been bottled for three weeks - tried one last night and there's not much carbonation. Sounds like it takes these a while to carb up. Gonna give 'em a couple more weeks before I try again.

I just bottled mine with about 3.5oz of priming sugar. Was in the primary for 2 weeks then racked to Secondary for 3 weeks. Final og was 1.021. Added a fifth of Buffalo Trace, 2oz oak, and 2 Madagascar vvanilla beans. Let's it sit for another 3 weeks or so then bottled today. It still didn't taste that good. Gonna let it sit for a few months before I try it.

Hey guys, this is my first post here - and this is my first homebrew ever! :rockin: I brewed this all-grain recipe on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, as this was my first time using my equipment, I didn't take into account for boil-off and trub loss. Instead of the 5 gallons I was shooting for, I think I got only around 3.5 gallons. (The pictures below are of a 6 gallon carboy)

Another small issue I had was I forgot to purchase a hydrometer before pitching the yeast and taking the OG reading.

I cooled the wort down in an ice bath and pitched the Safale S-04 Yeast (dumped it in dry) at 70* F.

This picture is about 14 hours after I pitched the yeast (Monday - 10 AM)

4uy2.jpg

This picture is about 18 hours (Monday - 2 PM)

ihdy.jpg

This picture is about 22 hours (Monday - 6 PM)

85so.jpg

Now fast forward to today, Friday @ 1:00PM, the airlock activity has slowed down substantially but there is definitely still bubbling on the surface of the wort.

fazc.jpg

The krausen has definitely fallen off and the yeast cake has appeared at the bottom.

wn27.jpg

In my opinion, it smells good through the airlock and it looks like fermentation was quick and vigorous (as expected for the s-04 yeast) Just wanted to make sure this looks normal so far - as I am very cautious as this is my first ever home brew (all-grain or extract).

I was planning on waiting another week, and then racking the beer into 4, 1 gallon carboys. I want to add bourbon for #1, coffee for #2, bourbon + coffee #3, and then keep the base beer for #4. Any comments/suggestions so far?

Its been 15 weeks since brew day and 6 weeks since bottling with the last week in the fridge. Really tempted to try it but think it's a little too soon....

1396053801361.jpg

My chocolate bourbon porter just placed 1st in local HB contest last week followed by my IPA placing 2nd!! First time ever entering in any contests!! As the winner I get to brew my recipe on their 7bl system! Excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My one issue is it lacks body. I made it once, enjoyed it alright, I think some, perhaps .25 lb/ .5 lb carapils or caramunich would be quite nice in it.

Hey all!

I'm definitely planning on brewing this up as soon as my American Wheat comes out of the fermenter, want to give it ample time in the bottle to mellow out before Christmas this year.

This thread has been an absolute treasure trove of information! That being said I have a couple of prep questions before I start planning out the brew day:

1) it seems like this is a very active fermentation, and a blow off is basically required. I'm still using a 6.5gal bucket, how would I go about making a blow off for it? Is this screaming for me to upgrade to a carboy?

2) I was also thinking of bumping up the ABV just a little bit, and had an idea of adding between half a pound and a full pound of brown sugar. I don't want to take anything away from the whiskey or oak flavors, but I thought it might compliment the vanilla flavors pretty well. Ya us or nays? Any other ideas to bump up the ABV?

Thanks everybody!

BMWillis...you can make a blow-off using a three-piece airlock. Take the bottom portion...the part you stick in the hole in the bucket cover...to the hardware and buy about 4 feet of tubing that fits over the little plastic tube inside the airlock. Back home, put the bottom piece of the airlock into the bucket lid, slide the tubing over the little plastic tube and run the other end into a container of water. PRESTO...a blow-off tube!

glenn514:mug:

A 1" blow off tube is a nice tool in the toolbox because it lessens the likelihood the tube will clog if it is an over active fermentation.

Made this kit last year, and it was well-received by our group. Also a good learning experience for me. I learned that I do not like the flavor that the wood chips impart on the beer. I was also the only one who felt this way, everyone else raved about it.

I knew my keg was getting low so I decided to bottle the rest and save for the future. Was hoping to get about 4-6 bottles but only was able to fill 2 bottles. So far it's about 6 months old and tastes amazing!! Let's hope I can forget I have these around and find them in another 6 months and see how they have aged! One of my best brews ever! Cheers

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399052265.707025.jpg

Nextgenxx - how did you seal those bottles?

I just use some wine wax from local HB store. I have also heard you can mix crayons and hot glue sticks together to make your wax. Basically you create a double boiler (empty beer can inside of pot of boiling water) add your wax, let it melt, then dip.

Tip: to speed the melting process up I also used a heat gun to melt the wax faster.

Here is another thread with more info.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/waxing-beer-bottle-caps-115188/

Back