Northern Brewer's Irish Draught Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricbucky

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got this kit and was reading the instructions last night seems fairly simple . Only one part is a little confusing. The instructions say add 3.15 lbs. of Malard's Gold Malt Syrup but they sent me 6 lbs. so do I use all 6 lbs. or do I try and split the 6 lb. jug and only add 3.15 lbs.?

How big of a taste difference would I see if I used all 6lbs.?

Thanks

The taste difference would be noticeable. Using all of the extract would boost the OG to about 1.069. The higher ABV, 6.51%, would unbalance the recipe.

I would brew according to the recipe, using half the LME. Mark the jug to help in pouring just half.

NB may not have had the 3.15 gallon jugs on hand. Not delaying the order gave you some bonus LME.

Are you sure you're not supposed to add the second half later in the boil? I know I've gotten kits with an extra .5 ounce of hops, but I'd be surprised if they gave you an extra 3 pounds of LME, but maybe, like another poster said, they only had the bigger jugs on hand.

Back