Northern Brewers Dry Irish Stout FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew NB's Dry Irish Stout.

Kit Inventory:
Specialty Grain
-- 1 lbs Simpsons Roasted Barley
Fermentables
-- 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup
Hops & Flavorings
-- 2 oz Cluster (60 min)
Yeast
-- Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast. Optimum temp: 62°-72° F.

The listed OG is 1.042 but don't list a FG

I seem to remember reading that to determine a FG range you take the last two numbers of the OG: so in this case 1.042 would become 42 and then divide by 4 (42/4 = 10.5) to get the FG:

so an estimated FG would be 1.010 to 1.011 and a ABV of 4.192%

Would this final gravity range be correct????

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

When I recently brewed this kit, my OG was 1.043 and my FG was 1.013. Don't get hung up shooting for that last .001--your beer will be fine.

jturie,
Thanks for the reply.... Have you got a chance to drink any yet? If so, what did you think of it?
Cheers

Jturie,

I second that. Did you get to try it? How was the taste?

I brewed it this weekend so I have awhile to wait...

I brewed this kit last Friday and got an OG of 1.046, but there were a significant number of bubbles in the hydrometer tube, so I could have been off by a tiny bit.

The first couple of days, the airlock was bubbling like mad... now it's calm to the point of putting out virtually no CO2. Probably will be fine in the end, but this is my very first batch (ever), so I'm not really sure if that's typical.

I still have 6 bottles of the NB Dry Irish Stout that I brewed on December 1st.
Its a pretty good kit. I will try one of their porters next, with a little less roastiness.
Probably the Bourbon Barrel Porter, or maybe a vanilla bean porter.

For some reason the NB Oatmeal Stout Partial mash got stuck at 1.018.
So I sanitized my stirring spoon, carefully stirred up the yeast cake so as not to aerate it, and raised it's temperature a little to try and get it restarted. It seems to have dropped to 1.016 from 1.018 in a few days. I stirred it up again. We'll see how it goes.
If I can get it to 1.014 it will be ok, still a bit higher than I'd expect, but not the end of the world.

I was thinking of getting this kit soon keep us up to date. I would like to know how it turns out

Back