Northern Brewer Stainless Steel Wort Pump vs. Blichmann RipTide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presbrewterian Pastor

Man’s sweat + God’s love = Beer
Reaction score
I've got a gift card at Northern Brewer that is enough to buy their Stainless Steel Wort Pump... or I can save up a little over a hundred more and get the RipTide. Would it really be worth it though? Looking for advice.

The Northern Brewer pump will get done what you need it to get done, and the biggest perk is that you have your gift card.

I will say, I upgraded from a similar pump to the Riptide, and I thought it was worth every dollar.

This write up does a good job highlighting the perks of where the pump shines.

My biggest highlights include...which are written more in depth in the linked article:
  • Easy tri clamp breakdown for disassembly and cleaning - compared to bolts needing to be unscrewed each time.
  • A PRV style valve for easy priming
  • It's silent compared to the ~$100 pumps...which to me is a big deal.
  • The linear flow valve allows for precise flow control. Which isn't a big deal to me anymore...but when I was fly sparging it helped a ton compared to a regular ball valve.
  • On/Off switch which is nice if you're plugged directly into an outlet instead of a control panel.

Either choice will get the job done, but consider those bullet points if they extra cost would be worth those perks.

If you do get the riptide, get a back up set up O-rings as well. I had the bad luck of the one coming with my pump being broken on arrival, so I needed to wait in order to use it for a replacement. Nice to have on hand in case of a broken one.

The Northern Brewer pump will get done what you need it to get done, and the biggest perk is that you have your gift card.

I will say, I upgraded from a similar pump to the Riptide, and I thought it was worth every dollar.

My biggest highlights include...which are written more in depth in the linked article:
  • Easy tri clamp breakdown for disassembly and cleaning - compared to bolts needing to be unscrewed each time.
  • The linear flow valve allows for precise flow control. Which isn't a big deal to me anymore...but when I was fly sparging it helped a ton compared to a regular ball valve.
  • On/Off switch which is nice if you're plugged directly into an outlet instead of a control panel.

Either choice will get the job done, but consider those bullet points if they extra cost would be worth those perks.

If you do get the riptide, get a back up set up O-rings as well. I had the bad luck of the one coming with my pump being broken on arrival, so I needed to wait in order to use it for a replacement. Nice to have on hand in case of a broken one.

I have a riptide and like it for those reasons.
Buy spares of all the little parts, there's a tiny metal washer that I've almost lost a couple times. Having to pay separate shipping to replace that would be annoying.

Thanks!
I have a riptide and like it for those reasons.
Buy spares of all the little parts, there's a tiny metal washer that I've almost lost a couple times. Having to pay separate shipping to replace that would be annoying.

Thanks!

I have a Riptide, after one year of use the impeller "swelled", the metal sleeve on the impeller split jamming the impeller against the inner sleeve and stopping the pump. In the middle of a brew I had to peel off the metal sleeve, and file down the impeller so it would clear the inner sleeve before I could continue using the pump. I ordered a new impeller and inner sleeve directly from Blichmann two months ago and my order still hasn't shipped ... but they took my money immediately. Buyer beware.

I have a Riptide, after one year of use the impeller "swelled", the metal sleeve on the impeller split jamming the impeller against the inner sleeve and stopping the pump. In the middle of a brew I had to peel off the metal sleeve, and file down the impeller so it would clear the inner sleeve before I could continue using the pump. I ordered a new impeller and inner sleeve directly from Blichmann two months ago and my order still hasn't shipped ... but they took my money immediately. Buyer beware.

Dang that's bum luck.

I can also agree that purchasing directly from Blichmann for the past two years throughout Covid has been a very, very slow process. I purchased the Brewcommander and another piece of hardware, and both took weeks/months to ship.

I did have what sounds like better luck with customer service responses, though.

Hey Spike...
Get a grip on marketing 101..."never knock the competition."
You started by saying "theirs" is crap and never referenced yours.
Why didn't you say, "They make a good product, but here's why ours is a lot better."

Last edited:
Back