Northern Brewer Block Party Amber Ale modifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sajjeev

Reaction score
I just started a batch of the Northern Brewer Block Party Amber Ale yesterday. While reading about the end product online, a lot of people say it is underwhelming at best and that it is watery and could use more hops. Is there anything that I could do now to make it a little better? I was thinking if I should dry hop but I have no clue if it is a good idea or what/how much hops I should add. I am a total newbie and would appreciate any inputs on this. Cheers 🍻

Oooh, I made that one. It was my first brew! I really liked it, and thought it was a tasty, simple, and balanced amber ale.

I'd let it go as it is, but if you're dead set on adding something to it, I would toss some cascade in it. Cascade goes really well with amber ales, in my opinion. But again, I would drink it as the recipe is written.

While reading about the end product online, a lot of people say it is underwhelming at best and that it is watery and could use more hops. Is there anything that I could do now to make it a little better?

One thing that is pretty easy and should get you better beer is to let it have time to fully mature. Many people open the bottles a bit too early and they then get beer that tastes thin and watery. Try giving this beer 4 or 5 weeks in the bottle.

Thank you so much for your input guys, I shall add the cascade (I like my beers hoppy). When do you think I should start the dry hopping? I am planning to let this go for three weeks in the primary and then keg it to force carbonate. How do I let the beer mature if I am kegging it?

One thing that is pretty easy and should get you better beer is to let it have time to fully mature. Many people open the bottles a bit too early and they then get beer that tastes thin and watery. Try giving this beer 4 or 5 weeks in the bottle.

Good point, considering thats the kit that usually comes with the starter kit. I do recall that being the case on the last 10-12 bottles I had, at least.

Thank you so much for your input guys, I shall add the cascade (I like my beers hoppy). When do you think I should start the dry hopping? I am planning to let this go for three weeks in the primary and then keg it to force carbonate. How do I let the beer mature if I am kegging it?

3-4 days before packaging is my schedule.

Sorry to bother you guys again,
I just realized that I might risk oxidation when I dry hop the beer after active fermentation (As these are in a bucket). Is there a technique that you guys use to minimize it?
Also I am planning to add a lb of Brown sugar to increase the ABV and also to impart some flavor to it. What do you guys think about it?

You can always add the dry hops when there is still a small amount of yeast activity. The active yeast will scavenge any oxygen introduced.

Back