New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update on the verdict between these two yeasts? Curious for sure.
So, they've been on gas for the last week. I finally poured the first 2 proper pours last night, and I'm overly impressed. Zero hop burn or astringency from either. All Citra. CH is definitely more citrus forward. Juicy. Softer mouthfeel. LF is more dank with citrus and a little deeper orange. Maybe a bit more complex (?). Both hazy af. I'll get some pics up later or tomorrow. Really really impressed with these two. I would say I prefer CH, but I'm a juice head. Very happy I have 5 gallons of the LF too. Definitely very different beers with different personalities!

76660381-CE83-4429-9DE5-54C30C6E4404.jpeg3 weeks after kegging and still super hazy, aromatic, and flavorful. I don’t think I have had haze last this long before. I guess this is what the cool kids call #permahaze

I jumped on the Spelt train after all the positive experiences you were all having and I must say I’m a convert. I only used it as 12% of my grain bill alongside my usual 30% Malted Oats and the mouthfeel on this beer is noticeably better than anything I’ve ever produced. I’ve also noticed very good head retention on this beer as well.

I feel like spelt would be a fantastic addition in Session IPA and other low ABV ales.

I feel like spelt would be a fantastic addition in Session IPA and other low ABV ales.
I’m a big fan myself. It’s used a lot in brett and farmhouse ales that low fg (1.001/2) to keep a big of body and mouthfeel

The best IPA I have ever had is Bissell Brothers HTFGATT and they use 2-row, spelt, and oats. If you have never had it, I highly recommend trying to get some. I traded a guy a few years ago in a beer line at the Veil not knowing anything about the beer. Glad I did! I immediately went hunting and found someone that shipped me a 4 pack. It’s so good! I believe the hops they use are; Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Vic Secret. Beats anything I have had from OH, the Veil, Trillium, etc. the perfect example of the style in my opinion. I have been sold on spelt in NEIPAs ever since. The mouthfeel on this beer is unlike any other.
E474BFBD-613F-4A09-8943-226B266BF154.jpeg

The best IPA I have ever had is Bissell Brothers HTFGATT and they use 2-row, spelt, and oats. If you have never had it, I highly recommend trying to get some. I traded a guy a few years ago in a beer line at the Veil not knowing anything about the beer. Glad I did! I immediately went hunting and found someone that shipped me a 4 pack. It’s so good! I believe the hops they use are; Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Vic Secret. Beats anything I have had from OH, the Veil, Trillium, etc. the perfect example of the style in my opinion. I have been sold on spelt in NEIPAs ever since. The mouthfeel on this beer is unlike any other.
View attachment 744393
If never had that beer but it gets distributed to my beverage center so I should def grab it

I jumped on the Spelt train after all the positive experiences you were all having and I must say I’m a convert. I only used it as 12% of my grain bill alongside my usual 30% Malted Oats and the mouthfeel on this beer is noticeably better than anything I’ve ever produced. I’ve also noticed very good head retention on this beer as well.

I enjoyed using spelt too. I used it in place of white wheat and flaked oats, and it added great mouthfeel. I did use biofine in the keg, thinking it may drop out any leftover polyphenols from the soft crash and DH, but it did make the beer more clear than I wanted after about 3 weeks in the keg. It's still hazy, but not opaque by any means. I used malted oats and white wheat in my next split batch (no biofine), and it's hazy af. Super smooth mouthfeel. I didn't like malted oats the first time I used them, but this batch came out amazing. It's absolutely my favorite so far. I might try malted oats and spelt next time, for an exbeeriment.

I enjoyed using spelt too. I used it in place of white wheat and flaked oats, and it added great mouthfeel. I did use biofine in the keg, thinking it may drop out any leftover polyphenols from the soft crash and DH, but it did make the beer more clear than I wanted after about 3 weeks in the keg. It's still hazy, but not opaque by any means. I used malted oats and white wheat in my next split batch (no biofine), and it's hazy af. Super smooth mouthfeel. I didn't like malted oats the first time I used them, but this batch came out amazing. It's absolutely my favorite so far. I might try malted oats and spelt next time, for an exbeeriment.

Ive been using 3lbs spelt, 2lbs malted oats, and .75lb carafoam for my NEIPAs and love em. Still might drop the malted oats a little bit lower....Always tweaking lol.

Edit: also using 12lbs 2row for base.

Ive been using 3lbs spelt, 2lbs malted oats, and .75lb carafoam for my NEIPAs and love em. Still might drop the malted oats a little bit lower....Always tweaking lol.

Edit: also using 12lbs 2row for base.
I don't want to tweak my last batch too much. I ALWAYS change more than 1 thing, and it's much more difficult to figure out what's what that way. Might start low on the spelt. Maybe even 50/50 spelt, malted oats. We'll see. I still want this batch to condition a bit to see what the future holds.

View attachment 744393
I live in Cali, but was able to do a month long road trip across New England with wife and baby a few years back. Visited every bucket list hazy brewery and Bissell Bros was my absolute favorite. Reciprocal blew me away. As did HTFGATT. What I love about their beers is that they are not just tropical fruit bombs...there’s a good dankness to them...reminds me of college if you know what I mean. Wish their stuff made it to the west coast.

I don't want to tweak my last batch too much. I ALWAYS change more than 1 thing, and it's much more difficult to figure out what's what that way. Might start low on the spelt. Maybe even 50/50 spelt, malted oats. We'll see. I still want this batch to condition a bit to see what the future holds.

I hear ya man. Feel like Im always trying new things and sometimes too many things at a time as well lol. We all have our processes that work. I actually started using spelt with 2row, spelt (20%) , and carafoam; then did one with 2row, white wheat (20%), and carafoam. Spelt definitely softer and "fluffy" IMO vs white wheat. After those two, I put the spelt into an NEIPA with malted oats. Id day that since spelt is in the wheat family, just sub it for white wheat if you have a standard recipe that uses white wheat with a solid percentage. Cheers!

Although not a NEIPA the best beer I have ever brewed is a all Citra (Sip of Sunshine) clone that is killer. Uses US05 which I think really allows the hops shine. Brewed it twice over a 3yr period so i know the recipe is good because it came out phenomenal both times. I have probably brewed 20 something NEIPA's with multiple hops and they just seemed ok. Also brewed a PseudSue clone twice using all Citra and it was also phenomenal. Guess its just hard to screw up a Citra only beer.

This style has really kicked my butt!

Brewed a couple days ago and using Cosmic Punch for the first time. Using this beer as a bit of an experiment, so it got the cascade mash hop and only CTZ in the kettle.

All I can say is Wow. The smell when I opened the ferm chamber last night was incredible. We’ll see about the finished beer, but the chamber smelled full-on POG juice bomb.

It got 2oz of CTZ lupomax last night and will be getting 6oz of either Simcoe or Strata after the soft crash. Hoping for the Simcoe to go full “budget”, but I’m going to do some sensory first to make sure it’s not a crap lot.

Any standout hop combos from the list below?

View attachment 744810

Yeah, you got yourself some bangers! I brewed with Talus before and it was pretty explosive. I used 2oz in the dry hop and it overpowered 4oz of Mosaic and 2oz of Citra with some super peachy flavors. You can easily pair it with Citra or Vic Secret.

Alternatively, Nectaron/Citra could be awesome, although any combo Nectaron/Vic Secret/Citra/Idaho 7 would make a great beer.

When did they start the Citra sale? I just got a lb of Citra from them Wednesday, what a bummer!
I had this happen before to me. I reached out in an email and they were awesome. I think they gave me a 30% my next purchase coupon. Maybe it was 20%. Do t quite remember but I know they made it pretty right

I had this happen before to me. I reached out in an email and they were awesome. I think they gave me a 30% my next purchase coupon. Maybe it was 20%. Do t quite remember but I know they made it pretty right
Started Friday. I reached out and they gave me a credit. She also said to email them a few days before Friday and she'd let me know what's going on sale. Excellent customer service!

So Id thought Id check this in here. This is my second go-round with Cosmic Punch yeast. My first was dry hopped with Citra, Nectaron, Moutere, and a touch of galaxy (Columbus and Cascade only on the hot side) and it was great. So given that these hops can elevate a beer regardless of the yeast, I wanted to see if Cosmic Punch could elevate a hop combo that probably most of us have used before. The "old school" Simcoe Amarillo combo! After looking at MANY charts and data, it seems that Simcoe is high in bound thiols just like cascade - which Cosmic punch was made for. I also had some Amarillo and Amarillo LUPOMAX on hand so thought that this recipe might take Simcoe/Amarillo combo and turn it up like its on steroids. I did use mash hops with this (3oz cascade, 1oz Simcoe) and the rest of the way was Simcoe/amarillo only:

Boil: 0.5oz Simcoe @ 15min, 0.5oz Simcoe @10min, 0.25oz Simcoe & 0.5oz Amarillo at 5minutes.
Whirlpool @155degrees: 1oz Simcoe, 1.5oz Amarillo for 45 minutes, then a second addition of 1oz Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo LUPOMAX for 30 minutes.
DH: post fermentation and after soft crash to 50 for 36hrs then bouncing it back up to 53-54 degrees: 1st addition - 2.5oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo, 2nd addition (24hrs after first) of 2oz Simcoe and 2.5oz Amarillo LUPOMAX.

This beer is pretty banging! Amarillo brings a nice floral/herbal orange vibe and Simcoe is super fruity yet still beings a nice depth of earthy&slight resin type character. Ive brewed with Simcoe Amarillo two other times about a year ago and this is head and shoulders better although the previous ones were still solid. This is super bright with bursting flavor and aroma. It was kegged 14 days ago. While I LOVE what the NZ hops brought to my previous cosmic punch NEIPA, this one is VERY close. In fact - a couple fellow HBer friends prefer this Simcoe Amarillo simply because they don't love the NZ edginess that I love. pretty pumped with this beer.

ON another note - a week or two ago I posted a question about carb levels on NEIPAs because I typically went with 2.4vols and was finding that the finished beer had lost a little of its body compared to force carbed sample from keg day. So this beer I carbed lower to 2.0vols and the mouthfeel is just like on keg day and FRESH tasting. The foamy head is a little less, but the beer is quite "luscious".Thanks @tbaldwin000 for your input on that! So I think I might go a tad higher to ~2.1-2.2 vols to find the perfect balance, for me, with maintaining the mouthfeel I want with the foam. Tweaking my way there!

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

So Id thought Id check this in here. This is my second go-round with Cosmic Punch yeast. My first was dry hopped with Citra, Nectaron, Moutere, and a touch of galaxy (Columbus and Cascade only on the hot side) and it was great. So given that these hops can elevate a beer regardless of the yeast, I wanted to see if Cosmic Punch could elevate a hop combo that probably most of us have used before. The "old school" Simcoe Amarillo combo! After looking at MANY charts and data, it seems that Simcoe is high in bound thiols just like cascade - which Cosmic punch was made for. I also had some Amarillo and Amarillo LUPOMAX on hand so thought that this recipe might take Simcoe/Amarillo combo and turn it up like its on steroids. I did use mash hops with this (3oz cascade, 1oz Simcoe) and the rest of the way was Simcoe/amarillo only:

Boil: 0.5oz Simcoe @ 15min, 0.5oz Simcoe @10min, 0.25oz Simcoe & 0.5oz Amarillo at 5minutes.
Whirlpool @155degrees: 1oz Simcoe, 1.5oz Amarillo for 45 minutes, then a second addition of 1oz Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo LUPOMAX for 30 minutes.
DH: post fermentation and after soft crash to 50 for 36hrs then bouncing it back up to 53-54 degrees: 1st addition - 2.5oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo, 2nd addition (24hrs after first) of 2oz Simcoe and 2.5oz Amarillo LUPOMAX.

This beer is pretty banging! Amarillo brings a nice floral/herbal orange vibe and Simcoe is super fruity yet still beings a nice depth of earthy&slight resin type character. Ive brewed with Simcoe Amarillo two other times about a year ago and this is head and shoulders better although the previous ones were still solid. This is super bright with bursting flavor and aroma. It was kegged 14 days ago. While I LOVE what the NZ hops brought to my previous cosmic punch NEIPA, this one is VERY close. In fact - a couple fellow HBer friends prefer this Simcoe Amarillo simply because they don't love the NZ edginess that I love. pretty pumped with this beer.

ON another note - a week or two ago I posted a question about carb levels on NEIPAs because I typically went with 2.4vols and was finding that the finished beer had lost a little of its body compared to force carbed sample from keg day. So this beer I carbed lower to 2.0vols and the mouthfeel is just like on keg day and FRESH tasting. The foamy head is a little less, but the beer is quite "luscious".Thanks @tbaldwin000 for your input on that! So I think I might go a tad higher to ~2.1-2.2 vols to find the perfect balance, for me, with maintaining the mouthfeel I want with the foam. Tweaking my way there!

View attachment 745189
View attachment 745190

Quality brews as usual! I think there's something very good to be said about layering different crops/lots/years and hop products in these beers. I believe it was New Anthem podcast of CB&B where the brewer talked about this type of layering to add depth and complexity to their beers. Using T90 pellets and Lupomax should achieve something very similar, which is awesome. Amarillo is a fantastic hop and Simcoe is one of my personal favorites.

Question - I've always done 170-190F whirlpools, have you noticed a positive impact from doing 155F?

PS. Late boil additions for the win!!

Quality brews as usual! I think there's something very good to be said about layering different crops/lots/years and hop products in these beers. I believe it was New Anthem podcast of CB&B where the brewer talked about this type of layering to add depth and complexity to their beers. Using T90 pellets and Lupomax should achieve something very similar, which is awesome. Amarillo is a fantastic hop and Simcoe is one of my personal favorites.

Question - I've always done 170-190F whirlpools, have you noticed a positive impact from doing 155F?

PS. Late boil additions for the win!!

Yes, I haven't used Simcoe in a while but by gosh this worked out great! Still not sure if this Simcoe was elevated from the cosmic punch or just a solid lot of hops but in the end, I don't care lol. This is very good.

As for the WP, I actually just steep without movement but truthfully I haven't played around with steep temps enough to say how much my temp is making a difference vs higher temps (and probably shorter times). Its just not a variable Ive really focused on considering other variables Ive been more interested in. I used to do longer steeps/WPs at 60minutes with the 155 target and 45minutes is no different at the same temp IMO. I have a CUSS chiller for the foundry so it literally takes about 2-3minutes max to get to 155-160 and occasionally I initially overshoot lower but use the foundry to get it back to 155. So logistically getting it to 155 is a non-issue for me. I doubt that my palate would be able to detect the slight IBU difference in 170-190 vs 155-160 so the issue is whether there's a flavor difference and Im afraid I really can't comment. I have been very pleased with my hydrometer samples post fermentation and pre-DH so that's why I haven't played around much with WP/Steep changes.

Regarding late boil additions only and skipping the 60minute addition, this is something Ive been interested in. I do think that upping my boil additions but having them all late has helped me somewhat with more "saturated" flavor, but I still occasionally do a 60min and a 5 or 10minute especially if Im just using a clean bittering hop at 60 like magnum or warrior. So I go back n forth on boil additions but depends more on what Im trying to achieve with the boil too.

BTW I saw your comment a while ago using Simcoe with cosmic punch and that's what got me thinking of this Simcoe Amarillo combo with cosmic punch could be great. Glad I did, so thanks!
Cheers!

Rebrewed one of my favorite versions of this recipe that won bronze with a 42.5 a few years ago, this time it won gold with a 40. Definitely a keeper. I like the idea of adding just a touch of really potent hop (Galaxy, Vic Secret, Idaho 7) to the dry hop, and I think the Amarillo helps smooth it out.

14 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior 60 min (19 IBU)
3 oz Citra whirlpool (30 min 170 degrees)
3 oz Mosaic whirlpool (30 min 170 degrees)
4 oz Citra dry hop #1
4 oz Amarillo dry hop #2
1 oz Galaxy dry hop #2

Imperial Juice

75:150 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.061
F.G = 1.014
ABV = 6.2%

I just had a little email exchange with YVH and they shared some bad news about Nectaron. They're not very likely to source any until next year or even 2023. The rep did note that they're hopefuly to try to snag some, but the outlook is bleak :(

I guess this is my year to keep experimenting with the likes of Strata, Talus and maybe Vic Secret. I've also heard great things about Loral - Yakima Chief even has a cryo version that I might pick up. Does anyone else have a favorite hop outside of the usual suspects of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy? I know @Noob_Brewer is 100% on the Motuere train :D

I know this thread isn’t for this but I have some left over fiden’s from today’s release I’m willing to trade with someone in the US. i have;
(2) Super Heavy Cut
(1) Tuneless Moonlight
(1) socratic questioning 25

Pm me if interested, I’m interested in a trade of similar quality ipa or solid stouts. Not looking to sell them at all

I just had a little email exchange with YVH and they shared some bad news about Nectaron. They're not very likely to source any until next year or even 2023. The rep did note that they're hopefuly to try to snag some, but the outlook is bleak :(

I guess this is my year to keep experimenting with the likes of Strata, Talus and maybe Vic Secret. I've also heard great things about Loral - Yakima Chief even has a cryo version that I might pick up. Does anyone else have a favorite hop outside of the usual suspects of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy? I know @Noob_Brewer is 100% on the Motuere train :D

HBC586
BRU-1
Idaho7
Nelson
Riwaka

Simcoe, Simcoe, Simcoe

I can't even get Nectaron, and I live in NZ.

I’ve had a bunch of commercial beers with 586 and haven’t been that impressed. I know a lot of breweries and people are pretty excited about it, but I’ve yet to see what all the hype is about. Not saying it’s not good, just that I haven’t been blown away or anything.

Perhaps Ill get some and do a single hop beer with a clean yeast.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but oh well...when discussing dry hop rates in oz/gallon...are we talking about the amount actually in the fermenter at the time of dry hopping? Let’s say I have 5.5 in the fermenter and want to dry hop at 1.5 oz/gallon...should I dry hop with 8.25oz (5.5 * 1.5) or based on final amount in keg 7.5 (5 * 1.5). Probably being neurotic here :)

This was a fun one.

We have one local hop farm in central California here and I got 2 lbs of chinook directly off the bine. It looked and smelled wonderful. I’ve had some good hazies with chinook before but not a lot, so I split the difference and this wound up more of a west coast hazy ipa.

Water built from RO about 250 So4 and 250 Cl.

Pilsner, 5% Vienna, 8% wheat, 5% carapils. 1066 -> 1011
Hop shot at 30 min for 25 ibus.

Wet hop chinook 1.5 lbs in whirpool for 15 mins.

Dry hop after fermentation and cold crash at 58F for 24 hrs. 4oz citra, 4 oz galaxy.

One pouch each of verdant and NE ipa yeasts.

Results are really pungent, powerful IPA. The chinook is very clear ruby red grapefruit and pine, that holds up strong against a big dry hop, I was concerned it would get over powered. This took 10-14 days in the keg for the galaxy dry hop bite to settle, first time I’ve had that problem in a while. Clearly not soft and juicy like I usually make these. I’m not convinced the fresh wet hop aspect of this added much to the beer, it’s not particularly green or planty or resinous. But worked really nicely as a west coast hazy along the lines of modern times or Fremont.
87AE8C2B-DFFF-47E0-9C73-3DB13C2E2080.jpeg
67501D57-E165-40A2-8CA6-1226EC8BB12F.jpeg
329D8CF5-C973-4323-905D-7805DEBBD1D2.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been thinking of ways to use more of my homegrown hops of which I have a lot. Going to pick up a hop missile/rocket so I get more use out of these hops going forward. One of the ideas I had was to connect it into my system (brewzilla) and use it during the mash as the wort recirculates. Does this gain any benefit rather than putting the (whole) hops straight into the mash? AU Cascade & AU Chinook FYI.
Does anyone see any issues, concerns etc.? My only downsides are potential drop in wort temp & volume loss.

Have any people here that trialled the lalbrew new england dry yeast experienced any problems with flavor dropping?
Even in a mix with verdant is really tends to destroy hop flavor. I experienced a similar thing with the M66 hophead. Wonder if those "biotransform" enzymes are doing more bad then good

Last edited:
I thought you guys would find these interesting since these types of products aren't usually available to homebrewers:
Mass Whole Hops Extraction Ltd. - CO2 hop extract
Oast House Oils - hop and fruit terpenes

Once I get through my brewing backlog, it'd be fun to throw both of these into a brew and see how it compares to one brewed with the equivalent amounts of pellets.

1635546533951.jpeg

Tree House is doing a series where they alter FG, ABV, and dry hop.

4.5 lbs/bbl = 11.6 oz/5-gal
5.5 lbs/bbl = 14.2 oz/5-gal

"We most certainly have not found the limit yet"

Anyone try these beers?

I wonder if they’ll even get to the “typical” Monkish level of 8#/bbl
I still can’t believe they are truly at that level with T90 pellets. I feel like that figure is based on equivalence of 8lb/bbl and utilizes some percentage of t45 or other products

Back