Normal amt of yeast in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delorean1981

Reaction score
Before bottling my first batch, an Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest, I cold crashed for a couple days and noticed the beer is pretty clear but has very little yeast in the bottles themselves, adding to the carbing time.

I just bottled my Caribou Slobber Brown ale from Northern and did not cold crash. After just a few hrs I've noticed a larger amount, (1/8th inch or so) of yeast in every bottle.

I understand this could be due to not cold crashing and/or other factors during bottling process, but being a newbie I wanted to ask is this a fairly normal amount of yeast per bottle and should I be concerned for bottle bombs? I used a full 5oz of priming sugar and it was just a hair under 5 gallon batch.

you'll be fine. Maybe slightly high in the carbonation but that is due to sugar vs volume NOT the amount of yeast in the bottle. 1/8 inch isn't really that much sediment (though probably more than ideal.. but typical in my batches since I don't bother with cold crashing when I bottle.. perhaps I should consider it)

Latest posts

Back