Norcal Sparge Diffusion Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
I've used a Norcal Sparge Diffusion Plate in my Spike 20 Gal. Mashtun for the last 3 brew sessions. I can't get over how well it has helped during recirculating during mashing and sparging, compared to using a tube that floats in the kettle. Depending on how much grain is in my mashtun I can raise/lower the diffusion plate to the level it needs to be by changing the size of the tubing.

NorCalSpargeDiffusionPlate.jpg

[shrug] I've been using a length of 3/8" ID silicone hose from my autosparge, supported by an SS float ball, for at least 6 years now. Never have any problems recirculating or fly sparging, and prefer not to aerate the wort or sparge liquor...

Cheers!

The diffusion plate is positioned within the top portion of the liquid, so no spraying or aerating happens during mashing or sparging.

Good deal. Pretty much every sparge arm I've ever seen was intentionally designed and positioned to spray or drop the wort or liquor from well above the wort surface...

Cheers!

[shrug] I've been using a length of 3/8" ID silicone hose from my autosparge, supported by an SS float ball, for at least 6 years now. Never have any problems recirculating or fly sparging, and prefer not to aerate the wort or sparge liquor...

Cheers!

@day_trippr you know what they say,
No pics, it never happened! [emoji12]

Really? Ok, here's an example - not mine, I never thought to take a picture of the autosparge in action...

AUTOSPARGE4.jpg

I will say I use a longer length of tubing than that supplied by Blichmann such that the end of the tube is roughly 180° around the kettle wall from the valve.

When set up properly, the end of the tube is just barely submerged, there's a gentle circulation around the mash surface, and zero scouring of the grain bed...

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing the pic.
My sparge method needs to be modified and improved after viewing this thread.
It just drops out of a tube 1” from the tank wall down to the mash.

Really? Ok, here's an example - not mine, I never thought to take a picture of the autosparge in action...

AUTOSPARGE4.jpg

I will say I use a longer length of tubing than that supplied by Blichmann such that the end of the tube is roughly 180° around the kettle wall from the valve.

When set up properly, the end of the tube is just barely submerged, there's a gentle circulation around the mash surface, and zero scouring of the grain bed...

Cheers!

I used to own Blichmann kettles and one those autosparges, but got rid of them when Spike came out with their v2 kettles. The boilermakers always leaked.

There is a big difference between the side and center of the mashtun, especially if you use a RIMS.

Never heard of leaking Blichmann kettles. I have five of them, some 16 years old.
For home-scale tuns I don't think center drop verses perimeter makes any difference as long as there's no carving into the grain bed...

Cheers!

I know this is an old post but I have been away for a bit.

Ohh man you guys are going to LOVE the new line up of these!

Maybe..... I'll post a picture a little later. They are all getting listed on the site tomorrow. :)

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back