Noob question with co2 tank and regular..please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
ok i just got in my kegging system today. I screw on the dual body regulator to the tank really tight and a turn on the gas and co2 just sprays out and makes a loud hissing noise as soon as i turn the knob. and the presure valve for each line is in the off position (left). also the high pressure gage doesn't move when i turn the gas on all the way. i do not know what i am doing wrong. please help! thanks!

Where is the gas coming from? Spray some water on the various parts (regulator, keg connections, etc.) and look for bubbles if you're not sure.

some sprays out where u screw the regulator onto the co2 tank and some of the sounds come from the pressure relief valves on the regulator. as soon as i turn the know the psi gages shoot up and the high pressure gage doesnt move at all. is it a bad regulator? and its not like a low hissing, it is loud!

Turn the regulator adjustment all the way down (so the set screw is loose) and make sure any threaded parts have teflon tape on them. Make sure the regulator is secured tightly to the bottle (more than hand tight) as well.

Was your regulator new or used?

Yeah, I blew through an entire tank the first day I tried kegging. Then I unscrewed the gauges from the regulator and teflon-taped everything. Now I'm good to go.

Did you use a gasket? One is usually included with the new tank when exchanging. That's all I use and I haven't ever had a problem, or needed to use teflon. The teflon is a good extra measure, but the gasket is usually fine.

yea the kit came with a gasket. the regulator came assembled with teflon tape on the gages already but ill try unscrewing the gages and retap them. the only part that isnt teflon taped is the thread on the co2 tank to connect the regulator. could that be it? i dont what else it could be, im so frustrated.

I bought a brand new IMI Cornelius regulator that has a brand new gasket and there was a slight leak at the valve with my current tank (which is a ~15 year old 20# Coca-Cola tank), slight enough that a single layer of teflon tape fixed it.

While unlikely, it is still possible and would take about 10 seconds to find out. This is also why I said to make sure the regulator is tightened to the tank properly, if it is not that gasket may not seat and could cause a leak.

I finally figured out the problem guys. I feel really stupid, but the co2 hose was not hooked up to the Out post on the keg properly. i went through almost an entire 5 lb. tank today to figure that out lol. Thanks for your help guys!

First of all, I really tightened the regulator to the co2 tank with a wrench. Then, the end of the gas line that needs to be attached to the keg has to be hooked up a certain way. You gotta lift the outside of the hose connecter, then plug the inside into the co2 in-post, then pull down the outside of the lock so it stays on the post tight. thats, what worked for me. good luck man.

Get some keg lube and put it on your posts. It will make connecting/disconnecting very smooth and easy, give you a better seal, and it will make your o-rings last a LOT longer.

Latest posts

Back