Noob question on first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulbien

Reaction score
Hey guys I just started brewing and this is my first batch so of course i'm worried about how its going to come out but i have a question that I didnt see the answer to while searching around on here. I have my beer in the fermenter right now and its been in there about 7 days now and i still see bubbles in the air lock. Everything ive read has people counting how many bubbles they have per minute etc. but i dont see how they are figuring this out mine seem to just stay in there and it isnt easy to observe which are leaving. Also should my air lock be easily moveable at the top? my lid also didn't come with a rubber stopper on the top of the lid to place the air lock into so i find it hard to believe that its air tight I dont recall if there was a rubber stopper on the inside of the lid but i believe that it had one. Any help is much appreciated! thanks :)

if your getting any bubbles at all out of the airlock then its air tight. i've said it before and ill say it again. an airlock is not a fermentation indicator its a pressure release valve and a warm-and-fuzzy generator (hence those reassuring feelings you get when you see it bubble). as long as air isn't getting back in from the outside then its working properly.

i know its hard just walk away from the bucket and let it sit for another 1-2 weeks. then start taking hydrometer readings every 3 days. once you get 2 in a row that are exactly the same then fermentation is done and you can bottle.

how would i know if bubbles are leaving it at all? The entire thing is full of bubbles I have no clue if any are leaving it i just assume they are

here is a pic of it sorry its not rotated the right direction but im sure you'll get the idea. From the pic you can see what i mean about no rubber stopper as well it just sits directly on the lid and moves very easily if touched

http://tinypic.com/r/23r0pis/5

here is a pic of it sorry its not rotated the right direction but im sure you'll get the idea. From the pic you can see what i mean about no rubber stopper as well it just sits directly on the lid and moves very easily if touched

http://tinypic.com/r/23r0pis/5

Those bubbles don't count. Only the ones that are big enough to lift the floating cap. What did you fill your airlock with?

You should be able to tap the sides of the airlock (lightly) and dislodge those bubbles.

Without a rubber seal, I doubt it's air tight so you might not see any CO2 bubbles.

yea if the airlock was working that middle piece would be touching the plastic lid of the airlock and you would see large obvious bubbles coming out. this sort of thing is normal for buckets and nothing what so ever to worry about. just leave it alone for another week or two then check your SG.

i filled my airlock with boiled water. I dont think its air tight because gently tapping i was unable to dislodge the bubbles so i tapped harder and a few dislodged but not all of them and i was able to smell the brew inside when i did it

its definitely not air tight without a stopper.

I don't think I'd worry about it right now, just leave it be for another week or two and check that the SG has stabilized for a couple days.
but for the second batch get a stopper thats made to fit the hole and the airlock.

when you get that stopper on your next batch, you'll see how it should work. the air comes up through the center tube of the airlock. the middle peice forces it back through the water, and then it bubbles from there. its mezmerizing to watch, if your not careful, you'll spend hours just staring at it into the wee hours of the morning.

thanks for all the help guys i had a fishy feeling that it wasnt the way it was supposed to be but with it being my first batch i was attributing that feeling to paranoia. where is the best place to get one of the stoppers? My local brew store or a home depot? thanks so much i just got here and i already love all of you guys lol

You'll be alright. Just let it sit around a bit longer. You should be able to smell the beer aromas comin' out of the top of it -- after all, it's supposed to let gasses out.

Your LHBS is a great source for everything beer, at least it is here. Very knowledgeable staff and great at answering questions. ALWAYS willing to critique a batch!

Latest posts

Back