Noob question about gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turk6926

Reaction score
So I started my vanilla mead 2 weeks ago and my readings are 1.10. I have been reading other post and everyone's saying .999. I want to make sure I'm done before racking. I used d-47 yeast..

What's your recipe? I also don't really understand the question. 1.100 is not done. you're "done" around 1.000. Done in this case meaning pretty much out of fermentable sugars. You can be done earlier based on alcohol tolerance too.

So if your gravity reads 1.100 now its not done. if it reads .999 than it is done.

The recipe was I believe 3lb of wildflower honey 1 gallon of Fiji water, 1/2 packet of d47 yeast and 1 vanilla bean split and seeded.

On storm the castle website (not sure how well the site is) they were saying around 1.012 it was done so I wasn't sure how close I was to being done. This is my first batch ever so I'm kinda anxious for the mead to be done.

Since you are new to the hobby, the best advice I can give (despite the laws of physics) is "don't let gravity bring you down".

Well I guess to entertain myself till the vanilla mead is done ill start a blueberry

Well I guess to entertain myself till the vanilla mead is done ill start a blueberry
Good idea......

Also.......

You need to remember to use "proper" annotation for gravity numbers, normally 4 figures or 3 decimal points.

Your post says 1.10, which I would take to be 1.100 so nowhere near finishing yet, plus 0.999, which would be pretty much finished. To confirm finished, the recommended method is to take 3 gravity readings, each one taken a couple of days apart, so the 3 readings are spread across a week. As long as they're all identical results, then you can presume it's finished.

I would usually start a ferment at 1.100 to 1.110 sort of area, hence my comment.

Your biggest hazard with D47 is fermenting it too warm. If it's fermented at over 70F, then you can get a lot of fusels produced, which can take a long time (if ever) to mellow.

Good luck with your batches.......

Back