noob q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory11

Reaction score
So whats the best way to get a hydrometer without contaminating the beer? Its been fermenting a little over a week in a plastic bucket.
Should i just open it up an suck some out with a sanitized turkey baseter?

Yeah, that could work, as long as its sanitized, you can use whatever you want to get the beer out. They make a product called a Wine Theif that I find particularly helpful for precisely that.

Yup....or invest in a refractometer, in which case it just takes a few drops of beer as opposed to several ounces. Happy Brewing! :mug:

You nailed it. If you bought an equipment kit to jump start it should have came with a "beer thief"

Yes. Either a turkey baster or wine thief work great. Just make sure you sanitize everything well. Also, it's best to not dump the sample back into the fermenter.

Or you can just sanitize the hydrometer and your hands and float it right it the bucket. I have never had an issue doing it this way.

Hoppopotomus said:
Yup....or invest in a refractometer, in which case it just takes a few drops of beer as opposed to several ounces. Happy Brewing! :mug:

I thought refractometers only work before the yeast is pitched?

If you have enough time to sanitize the turkey baster, you have enough time to sanitize the hydrometer itself and just place that in the bucket of beer. No need to get all fancy with it.

Chefencore said:
I thought refractometers only work before the yeast is pitched?

No, I believe refractometers will measure the gravity of any liquid, regardless of yeast. You should be able to use it whenever! However, they are too pricey for my liking.

I find it easier to sanitize a measuring cup, and just scoop out a cup of beer from the bucket. Your lid will be off for 5 seconds. Then bring the measuring cup to the kitchen and take your time with it...

You don't even need a full cup for the hydrometer vial, though. I always get more than enough with 3/4 cup of beer

No, I believe refractometers will measure the gravity of any liquid, regardless of yeast. You should be able to use it whenever! However, they are too pricey for my liking.

Not quite. Alcohol content throws the readings off. Unless you are correcting for the presence of alcohol, you're readings with a refractometer will be wrong.

beerman0001 said:
Or you can just sanitize the hydrometer and your hands and float it right it the bucket. I have never had an issue doing it this way.

This is what I've done for many years and have never had an accidental infection!!!
DrDarwin said:
Not quite. Alcohol content throws the readings off. Unless you are correcting for the presence of alcohol, you're readings with a refractometer will be wrong.

They do make a refractometer for alcohol percentage but what you say is true about a sugar one... You can't really get a reading after fermentation...

They do make a refractometer for alcohol percentage but what you say is true about a sugar one... You can't really get a reading after fermentation...

The only alcohol percentage refractometers I've seen don't work in tinted or sugary solutions. Interesting if they have some that do though.

DrDarwin said:
The only alcohol percentage refractometers I've seen don't work in tinted or sugary solutions. Interesting if they have some that do though.

You could be right... Haven't looked for a long time... Good for spirits though.. :mug:

Back