Noob needs better instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameReaper88

Reaction score
I am not used to beer instructions at all.
Most of the lingo is entirely lost on me so far. I have mainly brewed with Mr. Beer. I am bored with it, however I do not have a mentor and I cant seem to find a good tutorial online so I come to you.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/doppelbock.htm
This recipe sounds good to me but I really dont know where to start. In recipes I am used to them starting out something like: "Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Seperate two eggs" etc.

In this it just seems to be a bunch of ingreedients (too many in my opinon to even fit in a 5 gallon anything...

What am I missing here?

Also what is it going to cost me for the ingredients along do you suppose?

I wouldn't make that recipe. Stronger beers are harder to make than weaker beers. Lagers are much harder to make than ales.

The best thing I did when I started was talk to the guys at the LHBS (that's local home brew store). They a number of recipes for reference, and walked me through all the steps in plain English. My first batch turned out well with their help. They sold me the equipment I needed and gave me a recipe that was easy and turned out well.

Additionally, what would be recommended? I want to try something challenging, and I dont want it to be an ale or a lager since I don't really even like them that much. The last two Ales I made came out tasting like Heinikin and I am bored of them now.
I adore Porters and Stouts however, it seems most of them come in the same format as the aforementioned Doppelbock recipe.

How many batches of beer have you brewed? Have you brewed all grain before? If not then this is not a recipe for you. Once you have some experience you can look at that and know exactly what to do.

Talk to us about where your experience level is and what you want to brew, and we'll point you in the right direction.

Additionally, what would be recommended? I want to try something challenging, and I dont want it to be an ale or a lager since I don't really even like them that much. The last two Ales I made came out tasting like Heinikin and I am bored of them now.
I adore Porters and Stouts however, it seems most of them come in the same format as the aforementioned Doppelbock recipe.

Porters and stouts ARE ales....there's really only two types of beers. Ales or lagers....

I'm a noob and I started with Mr Beer myself, this is an all grain recipe there is much more to it than "add booster to water heat and add can of stuff then pour into fermenter". You should start with a extract kit with steeping grains or partial mash to get a feel before trying to make this recipe. It would be like trying to run before you can crawl.

Do a search for The Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. I read that before I started anything.

This has pretty much been my entire experience with beer. I find it horribly boring now.
I was hoping to do some real brewing.

You can....extract with grain brewing or Partial mash brewing IS real brewing. Plenty of award winning beers are made that way. And even some commercial beer.....

I think you need to brew some extract with grain batches before you go that far....because clearly you don't really have a grasp of stuff that you need to yet.

Have you read How to Brew yet?

you can buy all grain kits from various online vendors like more beer or austin home brew i just picked those at random, your brew store might have kits too, who knows. if you have all of the gear you can brew them. if you don't have all of the gear now i'd get a 7-10 gallon pot, and a large grain bag for the brew in a bag (BIAB) method. after you get that down you can still use the pot as a hot liquor tank, mash tun or boil kettle. unless you want to stick with extract starting out with extract is akin to learning to drive a car by practicing on a tricycle, in my opinion anyway. if you want to go all grain that's what you should start with.

Back