Noob From Vegas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS99SVT

Reaction score
Got introduced to this site by a friend that has been brewing for some time now.

I am very new but a few friends and I have finally brewed our first batch of beer it's currently fermenting and we are hoping to bottle on monday. I can't wait to learn more and make some exciting stuff. This site seems awesome!

I wasn't brewing when I lived there (early '90s). I was focused on Sake drinking. The mild winters should make for easy lagering.

YES! Another Vegas brewer!

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk!

If you haven't already checked it out, definitely go to How to Brew - By John Palmer

Also check out our Wiki

When it comes to equipment, check out our DIY section....lots of cool stuff.

Don't forget to use the search function as well.

And if all else fails, ask us. We'll try to help you out.

BTW, check out this link as well. We have a brew shop opening here in Vegas on November 1st.

Why does south nevada always multiply on here. We need some up north numbers

I think it's just been lately. For quite a while it was just me. The came Matt Foley and riored4v(but he moved to Colorado). Now we've got Couevas, flack and ChadS99SVT. Maybe a couple of others I've missed.

Join the HBT Vegas Brewer Club!

I think it's just been lately. For quite a while it was just me. The came Matt Foley and riored4v(but he moved to Colorado). Now we've got Couevas, flack and ChadS99SVT. Maybe a couple of others I've missed.

Join the HBT Vegas Brewer Club!

riored is a good buddy of mine..:mug:

I got another friend that I am brewing with that will be on the boards as well.

seems like a great site and that's great we are finally getting a local shop! :mug:

Yeah, Rio bought a bunch of gear off of me. I wish I wouldn't have sold so much of it:drunk:. He had mentioned another buddy of his who wanted to brew who was going to maybe buy some gear from me. Perhaps this buddy is you?

naw, it was a different buddy.

Welcome to the forums man. Oh, and you may want to wait a little longer than monday to bottle that batch, just my opinion.

and go figure Vegas gets a HB shop after i leave.

Go figure, huh? Well how's the new location? Any good LHBS there?

I love Colorado so far man. I honestly havent even considered even moving back.

As far as a LHBS.. i've heard there are some good ones, BUT, i'm an AHS junkie and i've just been ordering stuff from them. I've got 2 brews under my belt so far out here, and just ordered the stuff for 2 more because of the Octfest sale.

Welcome to the forums man. Oh, and you may want to wait a little longer than monday to bottle that batch, just my opinion.

and go figure Vegas gets a HB shop after i leave.

you think so?

should we test it? when Brandon put it in the icebath he jacked the thermo on it. He stuck our temp probe into the batch and closed the lid on it. so we could get accurate readings again. right now the plan is to bottle it on monday. What kind of trouble will we have if we bottle it a bit early?

KABOOM!:eek:

if you bottle too early (before the wort has fully fermented) you'll get bottle bombs.

yup, bombs.

monday would only be about a week and half right? i'd wait more towards 3 weeks to be completely safe, or do like you mentioned, test it with the hydrometer.

I am actually chads brewmate also new to the game. How much longer do you think before bottling?

disregard my question. I'm watching football and didn't realize there was another page.

I am actually chads brewmate also new to the game. How much longer do you think before bottling?

i'd go a minimum of 2 weeks, but I usually bottle around the 3 week mark.

Last thing you want is a bunch of bombs in your closet.

Is that a general rule or does it vary much between diffirent styles

the general rule that i remember seeing on here is 1-2-3

1 week primary
2 week secondary
3 week in bottle before drinking.

if no secondary, then 3-3.

you can age a beer pretty much as long as ya want in secondary, although wheat/hefe's are usually good pretty fresh. same with some blonde/pales.

most important thing here though with the bottling is making sure fermentation is absolutely complete and to try and give the beer some time to condition and clear.

Rio nailed it.

that's pretty much how I do it. But once I fully get into kegging I am going to give Edwort's method a try. Primary in a carboy, then crash cool/secondary right in the keg. Then carb and serve. First glass is cloudy, then the rest is clear (pertaining to style)

Rio nailed it.

that's pretty much how I do it. But once I fully get into kegging I am going to give Edwort's method a try. Primary in a carboy, then crash cool/secondary right in the keg. Then carb and serve. First glass is cloudy, then the rest is clear (pertaining to style)

same here. I'm hoping to be able to start keggin early next year.

same here. I'm hoping to be able to start keggin early next year.

I'm getting closer.

Just scored both of these the other day on CL for 35$:

cutiepieeee_025.jpg

I'm getting closer.

Just scored both of these the other day on CL for 35$:

cutiepieeee_025.jpg

damn man, that's a killer deal. i'm jealous.

i'm hoping for xmas/my birthday the girl will get me some corny kegs and if she does that'll get my motivated even more. i've seen some great deals on craigslist for chest freezers, but nothing as good as what you found.

Yes. It was a steal. I had had passed up a few pretty decent deal in hopes that a better deal would come along. It was a long wait, but my perseverance paid off.

Latest posts

Back