Noob & Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powhatan

Reaction score
Im new to the home brew scene here in RVA. Brewed my first batch of Belgian Pale Ale on Father Day, compliments of my 5 yr old! Im interested in trying to do a Cream Ale and am curious how difficult this beer would be for someone with only 2 batches under my belt?

I wouldn't think it would be any more difficult than anything else. Do you do all extract, PM, or all grain?

The 2 batches I have done both had PM. One was a Belgian Pale Ale, and the other was a Belgian Wit. I dont
have the equipment yet to do an all grain recipe.

I did PM of cream ale I just posted the finished project yesterday. It was my sixth batch and by far the best one yet. Everybody loved it and five gallons only lasted me and 6 bud/miller drinking freinds one night out by the river. If you look up my post it had a somewhat detailed write up of what I did.

After reading your review of you Cream Ale, I'm def going to be leaning in that direction for my next brew!

People have also raved about Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops". If you google it, you will find the original HBT thread. It's an all grain recipe for a ten gallon batch. Don't be alarmed by the 20lbs of grain. Cut all the numbers in half - that will give a pound or two of everything aside from 2row (6lbs). Replace 5lbs of 2row with 3 lbs of extra light DME. That should only leave like 4 lbs of grain to mash total.

That is the next cream ale I am doing. If its half as good as the people who rave about it say, it will be a solid part of my standard rotation.

People have also raved about Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops". If you google it, you will find the original HBT thread. It's an all grain recipe for a ten gallon batch. Don't be alarmed by the 20lbs of grain. Cut all the numbers in half - that will give a pound or two of everything aside from 2row (6lbs). Replace 5lbs of 2row with 3 lbs of extra light DME. That should only leave like 4 lbs of grain to mash total.

That is the next cream ale I am doing. If its half as good as the people who rave about it say, it will be a solid part of my standard rotation.

+1 for CoTC! Super simple, and EVERYONE seems to enjoy it (beer snobs and BMC fans alike).

You might want to try looking into doing an all grain brew using the Brew in a Bag method. This can be done on your stovetop in a smaller setup than 5 gallons. Send me a private message if you want a smaller volume recipe and directions for BIAB cream ales.

Thanks to all for the input, i will definitely be looking into this over the next couple of days as i hope to brew again this weekend.

Latest posts

Back