Noob Confidence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
I just wanted to brag about my recent brews - I have only been back into brewing for about 4 months...

Beer 1 - Pumpkin Ale - Good drinkable beer with a VERY close resemblance to the DFH Punkin for which my recipe was cloned from. The only two things I will do different on this one - add more spices - age for two more weeks and leave this in the primary the entire time - no secondary.

Beer 2 - Pliny the Elder IIPA - Just kegged and carbonated this wonderful beer - nice hop aroma and flavor. The only thing is that this beer is almost an identical replica of Stone's Ruination Ale...not Pliny (although I have only had Pliny once). Things I will do different: Primary in a 6.5 gal carboy - use leaf hops to dry-hop with - filter or use gelatin to clear more - age 2 more weeks - and maybe do some sort of hop infusion when racking to the keg - or throw a bag of leaf into the keg :cross:

Beer 3 - Sammy Smiths Oatmeal Stout Clone - This was a partial mash and it worked out real well - I had to mash twice due to my mash-tun size but I wanted more grains on this beer for the malt flavors - took a gravity reading last night after about 3 weeks of fermentation / aging - tasted just like sammy's oatmeal stout - I am going to take the advice from my previous brew mistakes and age this one a bot more - then keg it. No changes to this at the present.

Next Up - Bombshell Blonde

Bottom line - none of these beers have turned out just perfect yet (except the oatmeal stout) and yet they are all VERY drinkable beer and real close to the presumed flavor.

Oh - it makes it much easier to age the beer longer when you have something on-tap. To start out - brew back to back weekends - like one month brew 4 beers... Then depending on your habit, you can cut back to brewing once every three weeks or so and still have plenty of beer.

Then you will let your beers age longer - since you have fresh home-brew in the keg.

Way to go and welcome back!

I agree I make sure I have a few thing in the pipeline before I decide to make some thing that need to age.

Back