non-uniform carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatorian

Reaction score
hey there HBT community,
so I just got back from an Alaska trip and i've been tasting samples of my first brew, a Brewers Best extract kit for a weizenbier, that i brewed and bottled before departure. it had been bottled jun 10th after i hit the target gravity of 1.013 in a week and it stabilized. i used the bag in the kit and mixed with boiled water and that whole process, put and mixed it into the beer in my bottling bucket. i let the bottles condition for about a total of 5 weeks because i was away (of course i tried one before i left and i was happy with the result) but when i came back i put about a case and a half in the fridge throughout the week and ive been picking random bottles and finding that some are pretty flat and some are pretty over-carbonated (like 1:4 beer:head). what can i do to ensure a more uniform carbonation throughout my batch? thanks

Howdy!

Thanks for all of the info, seems the brews had plenty of time to carb.

Inconsistent carbonation could easily (and most likely) be due to poor distribution/mixing of the priming sugar.

Put the priming sugar and water solution into the bottling bucket before racking your beer in. The vortex created will mix the sugar water very evenly with your brew. It sounds like you poured the priming sugar solution on top of your beer, and even with some stirring it is likely your first bottles may be flat and the last ones over-carbed.

Unfortunately there is no real fix for this for your current beers. Chill them down good before opening to reduce as much of the foaming.

Hope this helps!

sorry, i was unclear about that, it was a long time ago, but i vaguely remember putting about half in, racking some beer, and then pouring the rest of the sugar mixture in, but idk. yea i mean they still taste good, just the flat ones taste, well, flat (go figure). ah well im doing a northern brewer waldo lake amber soon, so hopefully ill get the mixture more uniform for that one. thanks for the quick response yotie!

Back