Non starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
Pitched dry yeast and no action, so 30 hours later aerated and put in another packet. Another 24 hours and still no activity. Now what.

No, but whatever it is, it hasn’t changed, there is no fermentation going on.

Yeast was dry SF 05.
Don’t know OG
Now have I think 1.012, at a temp of 77o so it is adjusted to 1.0145

1.014 is a typical final gravity reading, unless you started with an extremely low gravity wort. So it's done, and was probably done quite fast. At the 30 hour mark (nearly 3 days), you oxidized your beer with the aeration. And the second pack of yeast found little to consume and dropped out.

77ºF is a very warm fermentation temp, which contributed to the fast action.

I’ve made about 20 batches over several years, have taken a long break for a few years until recently, and have never not seen the bubble going nor had it ferment and finish within hours. Many times it’s been in the mid 70s, even upper.

1.014 is a typical final gravity reading, unless you started with an extremely low gravity wort. So it's done, and was probably done quite fast. At the 30 hour mark (nearly 3 days), you oxidized your beer with the aeration. And the second pack of yeast found little to consume and dropped out.

77ºF is a very warm fermentation temp, which contributed to the fast action.
Thanks. Just never seen it that quick and passive, the two seem in opposition. Also I’m not confident I’m reading and adjusting the gravity reading correctly, would have been nice to be shown rather than just read how, but I appreciate your thoughts / advise. I think with this batch I will transfer to a secondary fermenter, something I don’t do for fear of contamination, and dry hop then as it’s an IPA

now a second batch, same situation; after 30 hours in temp of between 72 and 68 degrees, dry pitched SF 5, no visible action. Over 20 batches in a row and never had this, now this is the second in a row. I have not taken a gravity reading yet. Would if I should warm the batch up, re-aerate and re-pitch?

Is this "SF 5" perhaps Fermentis US-05? If so, it does tend to have a slow-ish launch, but rapidly hits it's stride. It almost always hits FG by 5 days post-pitch.

Looking back at your previous batch it appears you need some distraction for a few days while the yeast do their thing :) Definitely do not aerate again!

Cheers!

now a second batch, same situation; after 30 hours in temp of between 72 and 68 degrees, dry pitched SF 5, no visible action. Over 20 batches in a row and never had this, now this is the second in a row. I have not taken a gravity reading yet. Would if I should warm the batch up, re-aerate and re-pitch?

No, as @McKnuckle said the first time around, it's not a good idea to re-aerate. And given that the first batch was fermenting and finished when you thought nothing was happening, I would recommend giving it a few more days, then measuring gravity.

Yes US-05. I just don’t know why now two batches is a row act so much differently than all previous. Just get frustrated when I can’t see any action. Not even like little foam like bubbles in the bubbler, nothing. I know people who almost routinely deal with bubbling over and use a tube onto a bowl of water. I get zip.

Yes US-05. I just don’t know why now two batches is a row act so much differently than all previous. Just get frustrated when I can’t see any action. Not even like little foam like bubbles in the bubbler, nothing. I know people who almost routinely deal with bubbling over and use a tube onto a bowl of water. I get zip.

Since your first batch didn't bubble, but did ferment, that means your fermenter has a leak somewhere, and the CO2 took the path of least resistance.

look at your gaskets as they may be broken. Inside the buckets lids there is usually a gasket. Likely not your airlock that is leaking unless its cracked or the oring on the bucket is broken.

It’s a bucket but really does seem well sealed. There is a beer smell in the room so I’m thinking that’s a good sign

It’s a bucket but really does seem well sealed. There is a beer smell in the room so I’m thinking that’s a good sign

You can't tell that it's completely sealed just by looking/feeling. This really is a pretty common problem with fermentation buckets.

Back