NON-FUNCTIONAL PRODUCT... 2 GALLON FAST FERMENT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
DO NOT BUY ONE

I recently purchased a 2 gallon Fast Ferment, having good luck with the larger 5 gallon version. I was excited about it, as I like to brew small, and the size is ideal. Unfortunately it simply does not work. The problem cannot be corrected without a redesign. The trub settles ABOVE THE VALVE, and does not pass down into the collection jar. This renders the fermenter useless. The problem is simply that the opening and/or valve is too small. When I first poured the wort in, I removed a jar of hops trub. Since then the opening choked and all that went into the jar was clear wort. Last night I emptied the jar back into the top after closing the valve, reinstalled it, and opened the valve......... nothing at all came through. Today I probed down through with a piece of steel brake line (new and sanitized) and got it moving. It was very clear that not only was it blocked by trub, but it was airlocked.
The collection jar which has only 4 oz capacity (118 ml) is far too small. It will accept any standard canning jar that isn't wide mouth, but 8 ounce is the largest that will fit under it in the stand, still too small. You cannot unscrew the canning jar to empty it without making a mess, so it is necessary to disconnect the coupler above it....... not a problem, just something to remember.

A taller stand is needed, and it should be C shaped so the fermenter may be lifted in and out without raising it over the top.

There is a threaded boss, presumably for a sample port, but no option offered for one, and tech support is singularly unhelpful, being slow to respond, and then failing to answer the questions I asked. For example I asked about the lack of a thermowell AND what was supposed to fit into the sample port and where to get it. They only answered that the had polled customers and found that they they didn't want a thermowell??? Really!!! And completely ignored the second question, and didn't respond to my second email. They also do NOT answer their tech support line EVER.

AS IT EXISTS, THIS IS AN UNSATISFACTORY PRODUCT TO THE POINT OF BEING "NON FUNCTIONAL" for practical purposes. The manufacturer has shown a contempt for it's customers by not addressing questions promptly and completely, and they have released what is essentially an untested product to the market. If they knew of the clogging problem the product should not have been released, if they didn't it should not have been released. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this.

Clearly the original worked very well, and the scaled up version did also. Scaling down did NOT work. The solution is simple. Use the same neck size and valve size as the original. Problem solved. It is however nearly impossible to recover from dissatisfied customers, particularly if you do not bother to address their concerns. It leaves a bad taste behind, and ill will, and obviously I will not have anything good to say about Fast Ferment. Word of mouth is your greatest asset.......... and your greatest potential liability in business. I speak from over 35 years of experience.

H.W.

I was interested in this Fast Ferment at first until I read reports of the leakage on the larger models. So, I stick with the trusty LBK for fermenting small batches like this.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully they will address the problem if its a design flaw.

Put yourself in their shoes............. Having spent many tens of thousands of dollars to order a container load of these vessels from China, they have a product that is junk, and are out a LOT of money. The original scaled up beautifully. the leakage issue is merely a matter of not applying enough teflon tape....... which they include, and so is easily resolved. But it didn't scale down........ Nobody bothered to test the smaller neck, they just assumed that the whole thing would scale.

As with so many companies, the short sighted solution of trying to recover their investment is resulting in a body of angry customers, who will ultimately destroy their business. It's too bad, as all it requires is that they increase the neck size to match the 6 gallon model. I've been in business for over 35 years, but I learned this from watching others. Word of mouth is your best advertising, but it can also be your worst enemy. It can destroy you.

I'm not a passive customer. Not a sucker. They will make it right, or I will make sure EVERYBODY knows about it.......... I'll do everything in my power to destroy them, and on the internet you can do a LOT. When somebody cheats me, I become a "bully". The solution is simple. Make it right. It may be simple, but it is not cheap. It however is far cheaper than business failure, which is the ultimately result of the course they seem to have taken.

I will write them every single day if I have to........... It's only a bit over $50, but a rip off is a rip off...........

H.W.

A plaintiff cannot succeed in his or her online defamation claim if the defendant's defamatory statement was true.
The thing is there is a number of owners that use this with no issues, some people do things differently than others.. just as some people claim plate chillers, pumps, hop spider or weldless fittings dont work for them and yet they work great for others? (You dont really see those people starting multiple threads to defame those particular products)
The reality is not everyone is using them the way they were intended or as they were tested as many home brewers learn this stuff on there own and their methods vary... Some are also more handy or better at following directions. Some are OCD and create their own misery in cases and others it seems always have to do things differently and go against the flow which is fine too except when that doesnt work out for them... One issue I do agree with here is I'm told there are no recommendations or directions that ship with these... There should be to prevent this sort of thing

Remember here , This is the guy that claims GFCI's are a complete unnecessary waste that do more harm than good... He has his own set of statistics and facts to prove that too...

There a few guys in my club that are in the process returning theirs and my local shop has stopped ordering them due to complaints. So it’s not just him as you suggest.

While people feel he might be overzealous in voicing his frustrations, the product seems to have a significant group of users who find it flawed.

Last edited:
Owly, I feel your pain. I am very much a consumerist, and it grinds my gears when I don't get what I bargained for.

Wait and see what corrective measures they will take. Maybe they will make good. Give them a chance.

If, after a reasonable period of time, they don't make good, or they blow you off, then fire away. But be careful what you write. Stick to the facts, and don't make up stuff. No name-calling, no false accusations. Don't give them grounds for a defamation suit. Companies are not afraid to go after people who say things the company believes are harming their business reputation. Truth is an absolute defense to a defamation action. If you limit it to your observations, without embellishment, you should be fine.

I hope things work out for you.

There a few guys in my club that are in the process returning theirs and my local shop has stopped ordering them due to complaints. So it’s not just him as you suggest.

While people feel he might be overzealous in voicing his frustrations, the product seems to have a significant group of users who find it flawed.
That likely very true, again like a clogged plate chiller or weldless fitting or a pump which some cant seem to have sucesss with unless they are self priming... Some things just arent as resistant to weaknesses. if it doesnt work for those people they return ans replace them with something that does work for them.

I cant get the mini paintgun co2 cartridge regulator to work well for me yet some people love them so I'm not going to start 3 threads to say what garbage they are because I've not had consistent luck using mine..

I understand his frustration, I mentioned myself in one of his other threads I have the original v vessel and I dont use it for beer anymore because the yeast doesnt all drop but rather sits on the walls until I try to keg from it..
I did mention my experience with my v vessel in the fast ferment thread and the company said it has inproved them... I believe they are on the 3rd generation of conicals now so they are taking contructive feedback and improving from it... isnt this the first generation tiny version?

All the Research Ive done to find out why including that over at probrewer indicates that plastic provides a surface that the yeast stick to more easily than stainless and they just dont work as well as a stainless conical. Its the largest issue with the large plastic conicals used in many micro and nano setups and those have a 2" or larger full flow drain..

If I remember right the OP tried at least one other 3 gallon conical and bashed that as well as being useless in a thread. The little brown ones I think..

Last edited:
I have found that the 3G fastFermenter has issues with high gravity beers. I have brewed a few low gravity beers in it, and they did not plug. But my high gravity beer has a trub/yeast cake that is very thick. (Stands on it's own for a few seconds before collapsing), and the yeast cake is stuck not draining down into the catch jar. So yeah, I don't think I will be using them for high gravity beer anymore.

To be fair and play devils advocate here, I know I've read many times people say they have gotten plugged drain valves or blocked drainage into the jaybird yeast catchers on stainless conicals from very high gravity or certain yeast strains beer.. I think this could honestly happen with most home brew configurations if the conditions are right. the logic would be if its only 3 gallons the yeast should be falling at a slower rate to a point. I bet the trub is playing the biggest role in problems for some. some brewers dump it in and some have hardly any. if this was beta tested by that type of brewer it may have worked fine that way. the actual opening on my ss brewing conical as well as my stout 12 gallon conical is only about 5/8" ID through the valve so...

I wouldnt expect a $50 3 gallon plastic conical to be as versatile as a stainless conical that costs hundreds more and not have possible weaknesses that require compromise.. look at all the sealing lid issues and cracking valve threads on the original FF.. then look at the cost compared to other options..

Last edited:
Back