Non-Alcoholic Sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
This may be considered sacrilege here, but are there any non alcoholic sour type beverages that can be bought at regular grocery stores that taste like any tart wilds or sour brews? I really love these, and would like to drink them regularly just for the taste at times instead of paying out the yang to buy them or wait for a batch to be ready.

+1 on Kombucha. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for. The "gut health" has sketchy scientific evidence so take that for what it's worth, but health benefits true or not, it still tastes great.

You may have your best luck looking at "health food" or "organic" type stores (Whole Foods and the like). I see it in standard grocery stores as well, but the selection is more limited. An organicy hippie store in my neighborhood actually has fresh, unpasteurized Kombucha on tap available by the glass or in a growler, so I pick that up pretty regularly. I have yet to try making it at home myself, but that's been on my to-do list. It takes far less time than sour beers tend to.

Also Kombucha isn't completely alcohol free, but (usually) falls into to the <0.5% legally non-alcoholic realm (the alcohol from its fermentation typically almost entirely converted to acetic acid). There was an issue where some bottles were exceeding the 0.5% alcohol limit and had to be pulled from shelves.

Kombucha is pretty tasty and pretty easy to make, if you can boil water you can make kombucha. Plus if you make it in a clear container you get to watch all the funky stuff going on, it's pretty cool.
I just had this thought, it may be possible to make a sour then boil off the alcohol, however I have no clue what that would do to the acids and more delicate flavor compounds. Someone with more knowledge on the subject would need to chime in about that.

Back