"no-yeast" fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadtheartist

Reaction score
first of all I know there IS yeast present, but...
here is the back story:

I have noticed the apple juice in my childs sippy cup smells REALLY good after I find it under the couch a few days later. the cap of the sippy cup makes a great air lock.

my question is this. if I brew everything up and put it in the fermentor but do not ad brewers yeast am I likely to get anything that resembles beer or wine? that is delicious?

I have read about a natural fermenting with "wild" yeast but can't find enough info on it to try it out. what do you all know about it?

Fermentation going on ... likely. Whether it will is the 'right' populations of micro-flora doing the work is the question. Have you tasted lambic or other 'wild' brews before? Personally, I love them ... but it is certainly a taste that not everyone loves at first taste.

I have not tasted lambic or other 'wild' brews. do you have some you recommend? and maybe a link I could order them from.

Give it a shot and see what turn up. Creating a house yeast is something that I've always thought would be cool. However I've been so behind on brewing that I've not had the luxury of experimental brewing.

I have not tasted lambic or other 'wild' brews. do you have some you recommend? and maybe a link I could order them from.

Hmmm... not sure where you can order them or am aware of what you can get in your local. Some of the more widely available beers:

Belgian Origin:
Orval - Trappist beer with a nice brett character.
Cantillion - Any of their beers
3 Fonteinen
Girardin Gueze

US Origin:
Russian River (most of the -tion beers... Consecration, Supplication, etc.)
Jolly Pumpkin
New Belgium - La Folie, Erics Ale, Kriek

Wild yeast sourdough starters are made every day... there may be some kind of a similar process that can be translated to beer making. Seems safer to succesfully create some kind of mini-brew and pitch it than to just fill a carboy and wait months for something to happen. The chances are that youre not boiling or hitting your kids sippy cup with Starsan so there's likely some kind of organic matter in there before the apple juice goes in. Or maybe your child has some kind of wonderful flora going on in his/her saliva that is innoculating the juice via backwash. Maybe the answer is to let your kid gargle some of the wort, and use that as a starter ;)

sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but if the question is still relevant for you Chad, I have made some wild yeast apple cider that was I think just a bit to tasty, I have the good luck to live near an apple orchard so I just got some of the fresh cider put an airlock on it and waited about a month or two. what i got was nice sweet and about 3%

Back