No starter effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbykollege

Reaction score
I brewed using my first liquid yeast (wyeast Leuven pale) without a starter. Bubbled moderately for about 9 days and left me with only an inch in trub, which is unusual for me. I'm sure that using a starter is much more effective, but could my batch suffer from not doing so? What are the proven effects if not? Thanks

The trub layer cannot be readily used as a measure on how well the yeast performed. You may not have transferred as much cold/hot break into the fermenter, maybe you didn't use as many hops, etc.

What did you brew, what was the grain and hop bill, batch type, OG, etc.?

"Le petite Orange" was the brew. OG was 1.060 (supposed to be less, but I only did 4 gal to raise it) and the bag swelled up nicely.

Wyeast contents that you should not need a starter. Mr malty contents that you would need about 167 billion cells. You're probably OK.

If you have a lot of diacetyl, fusel alchohols, esters, sulphur, or if your FG is higher than what you expect, consider using a starter. Since there is some disagreement about the pitching rate, you may find some diacetyl, fusel alchohols, esters, and sulphur; however, this will probably not be enough to ruin your beer. If you want the beer to be cleaner, pitch with a starter next time. Temperature control and aeration are also a factor.

Back