No Sparge Terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading a lot about no sparge. Most of what I’ve read deals with re-circulating, but I use a gravity system. My method is to mash as usual, mash-out and after a 15 minute rest, add all the liquor needed to get my pre-boil volume. From there it’s single vorlauf and a single lauter.

Technically, I’m adding sparge water after the mash, so would this be considered “no sparge?”

After over 100 batches, most of which were double batch sparges, I think I’ll be sticking with this new method. With my current set-up, efficiency came in at just over 75%. Between the time savings and not having to worry about the gravity of the last runnings, this is a winner.

Edit:
It’s not really that much of a time savings. It’s just more time to relax and drink beer during the long lauter.

I'd still call that a no sparge. Certainly the lines can get burred between batch sparging and no sparge but if you begin a single lautering process with the full tun of homogeneous pre-boil wort, it's no sparge.

I don't think it matters if you mash at a certain thickness, then add more water later or if you start with a thin, full volume mash. Still no sparge. If you wanted to call it something distinct, I think it would be a no sparge with mashout addition.

I understand why you'd want to do what you do but another option is to mash at a thickness (or I should say thinness) such that the first runnings volume would be the same as the sparge volume. That is the most efficient way of single batch sparging.

I understand why you'd want to do what you do but another option is to mash at a thickness (or I should say thinness) such that the first runnings volume would be the same as the sparge volume. That is the most efficient way of single batch sparging.
I've seen that there are more brewers using a thin mash, but haven't heard of anything over 2 qts/lb. That was my concern. What have been the results of mashing with all the boil volume? Any change in conversion or the quality of the final product?

I'm agree with Bobby M. The way I understand it is sparging is rinsing grains with water. No sparge is "rinsing" grains with wort. Looks to me like you are doing the latter, just diluting your wort with fresh water.

Reelale, I don't think he's adding water to lautered wort but more like adding a really big mashout addition to the tun prior to any runnings.

I haven't tried a full volume mash yet but it looks like many people have with no problem.

My last batch was 12lb x 5.25 gal strike (1.75qt/lb). First runnings = 3.75, single batch sparge with 3.75 for 7.5 total preboil. That's my usual process now.

If I were to do a full no sparge mash, it would have been 9 gallons of strike for 3qts/lb. I still feel like that would be OK as long as pH is accounted for (less buffering from the grain in thin mashes) and the mash isn't too adjunct laden.

I've seen that there are more brewers using a thin mash, but haven't heard of anything over 2 qts/lb. That was my concern. What have been the results of mashing with all the boil volume? Any change in conversion or the quality of the final product?

I've mashed with 2.14, 2.84, 2.63, and the latest batch was 3.28 qts/lb. All of these were as close as could be expected on gravities, I think. The last batch has me kinda confused, and I'm looking for answers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/help-me-make-sense-these-no-sparge-numbers-157547/. So far, the final product has been great. Kicked the keg of a nut brown ale, just kegged an APA, Stout is fermenting as is the OSH. I have high hopes for all of them.

Reelale, I don't think he's adding water to lautered wort but more like adding a really big mashout addition to the tun prior to any runnings.

That's what I meant, if he isn't draining the MLT, just adding the water at mashout. Sounds like a no-sparge to me.

If I were to do a full no sparge mash, it would have been 9 gallons of strike for 3qts/lb. I still feel like that would be OK as long as pH is accounted for (less buffering from the grain in thin mashes) and the mash isn't too adjunct laden.

Is there a threshold where the grain buffering falls out? I'm assuming there has to be, but I haven't seen any information on just how thin one can mash without pH adjustment. This would be good to know.

That's what I meant, if he isn't draining the MLT, just adding the water at mashout. Sounds like a no-sparge to me.
Thanks. So, I can call it "no sparge" without confusing people too much.

With my system, the final infusion after mash-out is really easy. The thought was to avoid any potential problems like pH.

Electric01.jpg

Note:
Bobby_M sight glass w/ blue tape cheat sheet. :D

Back