No Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuyser

Reaction score
K all you hard core "dont need a secondary fermentationers" when you are making something that calls for dry hopping or adding chocolate nips (for chocolate stout) to secondary fermentation. Do you all just add them to the primary fermentor when FG is reach and few weeks before bottling?

I've never used chocolate like that but dry-hop in the primary with pellets all the time. After fermentation is done I put the hops in for a week or 10 days and then rack to a keg.

actually, those are the times i'd use a secondary. but some folks don't unless they're bulk aging. any time i have a post ferment addition, be it dry hops, wood, spices, vanilla or cocoa beans, etc., i transfer to secondary so the bulk of the yeast is gone when adding these additions. IMO, i feel it works better to have the yeast and trub gone when adding flavoring additions. other than that, and bulk aging, i simply primary most of my ales for 3 weeks, then onto bottles or keg.
sorry, i know I'm not one of the 'anti secondary' guys, but i hope that helps some anyway.

I have dry hopped in primary, but have moved to keg hopping. I would probably rack to another carboy to dry nib, just because I think they would sink and get lodged in the trub and not have the desired effect on the beer.

I exclusively dry hop in primary. Dump the pellets in, let 'em float for about 4-5 days and then cold crash for another 4-5 days. I get plenty of aroma this way and very clear beer. Siphon through a paint strainer bag and you don't have to worry about any chunks.

Incidently, the only time I tried dry hopping in the keg I used whole Simcoe flowers and the beer tasted like honeydew melon. Wasn't great.

I dry hop in the primary - rack to a secondary for other additions

Back