No poppy beer for you! Seven years!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
check out this article!
*quoted below:

Santa Cruz Centinel said:
Santa Cruz home-brewer arrested after making poppy beer

Jennifer Squires - Sentinel Staff Writer
Article Launched: 09/20/2008 01:32:39 AM PDT

20080920__20080920_Local11%7E01_Viewer.jpg
20080920__20080920_Local11%7E02_Viewer.jpg

SANTA CRUZ -- Police raided a Westside house Friday morning where they suspected people were producing opiates and arrested a UC Santa Cruz doctoral candidate who said he used dried poppy pods to flavor home-brewed beer a month ago.
"All I did was make a poppy beer," said Chad Renzelman, 28, who was arrested at his Bay Street home Friday. "I spent all morning in jail for brewing beer. I had no idea what I was doing was illegal."
But police reported that Renzelman, who studies chemistry, allegedly had used a chemical process to extract opium from poppy plant pods, then converted the opium to morphine.
Morphine is the active opiate in heroin.
Police reported finding a pressurized canister of homemade beer laced with morphine in Renzelman's garage, as well as lab equipment contaminated with opium alkaloids and other hazardous chemicals.
Renzelman said in a phone interview Friday that he bought the dried poppy pods on eBay and used them more than a month ago to make beer. He and some friends have a "home-brew co-op" and brew beer together on the weekends.
"Then we just have it always for us to drink," he said.
Other recent brews have included a chocolate mint stout and a mango blonde ale. The poppy beer has since been consumed, he said.
"We make a different beer every week. Poppy beer just happened to be one of them," he said. "It was a little stronger. It had a kick to it but it wasn't anything horrible."
Police suspected the poppies were used in the beer production, but that's still illegal, Capt. Steve Clark said.
Police got a search warrant after informants tipped them off to suspected poppy processing at the house, Clark said. Renzelman said he thinks officers found the poppy stems he put in the trash last month.
"I guess they've just been brewing on this for a while," he said.
Friday afternoon, lab investigators from the state Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, chemists from the state Department of Justice and officials from county Environmental Health were called to survey Renzelman's backyard because police suspected he was dumping hazardous poppy waste there.
Renzelman said they were wearing hazmat suits and digging through his compost pile, where he disposes of the spent grain from his beer-making.
Police reported that the hazardous material was cleaned up and there was no danger to surrounding homes.
Renzelman was not growing plants.
However, just having poppy plants in a flower bed is technically a violation, though officers usually just seize the plants without making any arrests.
"It's pretty common for people to grow poppy flowers around the city because they're pretty," Clark said.
Renzelman was arrested on suspicion of possessing and manufacturing a controlled substance.
If convicted, Renzelman faces up to seven years in prison.
Contact Jennifer Squires at 429-2449 or [email protected].

Poppy seeds are legal to own as is brewing beer. It sounds to me like some *****efag neighbors wanted to cause a stink on him for some reason.

Should have kept his mouth shut. Don't these *****egysers ( the Poo leece ) have anything better to do than bust someone for this "crime"? I guess there were no bank robbers or murders to command their attention.

Should have kept his mouth shut. Don't these *****egysers ( the Poo leece ) have anything better to do than bust someone for this "crime"? I guess there were no bank robbers or murders to command their attention.

What about those damned speeders? Lord forbid you go over the speed limit.

Renzelman said they were wearing hazmat suits and digging through his compost pile, where he disposes of the spent grain from his beer-making.
Police reported that the hazardous material was cleaned up and there was no danger to surrounding homes.

Thank god the general public wasn't in harms way!! Is no neighborhood safe from these home-brewers?!?!

Hazmat suits to go through his compost? Guess I better wear one when I eat poppy seed muffins... Glad we're stopping real criminals.

c'mon. this is America. Real criminals either get 3 square meals and cable tv (murderers and rapists) or they get a couple million dollars to retire on (people running our failing economy)

Just to be clear, he was using these poppies:
T012366A.jsm

Which are illegal, at least here in California, though for the most part the cops would just "confiscate" the plant and go away. Still, that's a far stretch to say that dry hopping with poppy seeds will process it's chemicals into morphine...

Just to be clear, he was using these poppies:
T012366A.jsm

Which are illegal, at least here in California, though for the most part the cops would just "confiscate" the plant and go away. Still, that's a far stretch to say that dry hopping with poppy seeds will process it's chemicals into morphine...

Actually growing them is not in most states (I think). But harvesting them is. There was a lady that had grown a variety of Papaver Somniferum for years and years. She would collect the seedpods for use as decoration and reseeding. One day they busted her, I can't recall the punishment. It takes a whopping amount of Poppies to make even a small amount of Opium and even very much more to make Heroin. Like you need acres and acres and acres.

Big waste of taxpayers money. Bust them for distribution and if you can't do that, then leave them the F&%$ alone!
I'm surprised this happened there, considering how liberal the Banana Slug school is.

Obviously a simple misunderstanding. The guy probably went to his LHBS and told them he liked hoppy beers and they heard poppy and gave him a bag of poppys. Sounds like they need to visit the LHBS - they're the culprits! ;)

Considering he's a doctoral candidate in chemistry that probably raised a red flag with the local authorities. It does sound like he was attempting to see if he could create a hallucinagenic beer. I would have laughed more if he said he had scraped the poppy seeds off of hundreds of muffins bought at a CostCo or something/ :cross:

Yeah, this guy was brewing up more than beer. I am no drug nazi (believe me), and the cops certainly went into high overkill mode here. However, this guy saying he had no idea what he was doing was illegal doesn't quite ring true.

TL

I don't know. I know we had a small poppy plant in our yard as a kid. my mom liked it and it was a pain to mow around. I didn't think it was illegal to raise or use them as long as you didn't make drugs out of it.

I'm with TexLaw, I think he new exactly what he was doing, but I wonder if maybe the cops don't have something better to do that bust this guy for making Dopeweiser.

I'm with TexLaw, I think he new exactly what he was doing, but I wonder if maybe the cops don't have something better to do that bust this guy for making Dopeweiser.

Of course he knew what he was doing. The latter sentiment is really where it's at. An arrest is an arrest is an arrest. It can all be chalked up to 'success' in the 'war'.

My guess is someone in the co-op tested positive for opiates and the investigation led to the brewer.

I wonder if the Jury will get free samples?

that is so funny
this is the greates quote

"But police reported that Renzelman, who studies chemistry, allegedly had used a chemical process to extract opium from poppy plant pods, then converted the opium to morphine."

I thought the making beer was more of a biological process & not chemical

jason

Police reported finding a pressurized canister of homemade beer laced with morphine in Renzelman's garage, as well as lab equipment contaminated with opium alkaloids and other hazardous chemicals.
While I agree that it seems an over reaction, the lab and the fact the beer had morphine in it, leads to the conclusion there was more to it than just flavoring the beer.

Morphine cannot just be taken from the plant by just boiling water or wort. And since the beer was laced with morphine this guy had to process it with lime and ammonium chloride, he wasn't just flavoring the homebrew as he say's.

are all poppy's illegal?

they grow all over my hometown, including my mom and grandma's flower beds...

Back