No more vodka in my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtsitler

Reaction score
I guess I'll be

was using cheap vodka in my air lock till today when one of my cats decided he was going to bite a hole in it.... I think he was interested in the smell... Or he was just being
bad. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400718023.294781.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400718040.203151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Won't let me edit...

I guess I'll be using star san from now on...

It's my hairy leg and my cats have the run on my house... If they didn't SWMBO wouldn't let me brew anything in this house...

I have a lot of problems with this. First, is that your hairy butt cheek? Also, what are cats getting that close to your fermenting beer?!

How did you solve the problem of the troublesome cats?

wow i never really thought about what my cats would do to them.. i used to be worried that they would jump up on my keezer and open the taps, but they are too lazy for that it seems..

i've been using blow-off tubes mostly just because i tend to put a bit too much in by BBs and stuff always blows out.. i may switch to airlock after that and i have also switched to starsan.. mostly because i ran out of vodka and realized that starsan is much cheaper in the long run

They were probably after the moving bubbles. Cats are weird that way & easily Amused.

This^

it was the bubbles. Before i got my fermentation chamber setup, my cats would try and attack the bottle where the blow off tube was letting out the co2. I had to put a barrier in place to stop them.

wow i never really thought about what my cats would do to them.. i used to be worried that they would jump up on my keezer and open the taps, but they are too lazy for that it seems..

i've been using blow-off tubes mostly just because i tend to put a bit too much in by BBs and stuff always blows out.. i may switch to airlock after that and i have also switched to starsan.. mostly because i ran out of vodka and realized that starsan is much cheaper in the long run

I have the same fear but so far so good.

I'm going to concoct a shroud of some sort that will cover the the bubbler but leave it exposed on the top to let out the gas....

Keep the cats away with one weird trick!

Brew with tons of Simcoe so the cats think somebody already marked that territory. Or pee around your fermentor to keep them away.

I have a box that I turn upside down and place over the top of my carboy. Keeps the cat away and ensures total darkness for the fermenting beer.

I've always used StarSan in my airlock. Doesn't seem like 80 proof vodka would help anyway, wouldn't you need the 190 proof stuff to serve its purpose?

I keep my fermenter in the closet with the door shut. During one vigorous fermentation my cat stood around the door waiting to see the cause of the sound. That is the extent of my feline fermenting troubles.

My mouser doesn't like the smell of alcohol in general. So he doesn't have much interest in my fermenters on top of my stand. One sniff,& he shakes his head & snorts like a sneeze or something.:drunk: But it's funny when I grew catnip. It's a perennial & after coming back up after a couple years,it gets stronger. The mice are always dumb enough to try & run into the catnip patch to hide from the cat. He tried to bite the mouse & got a mouth full of buzz materials instead. Hours later,I'd find him 4 paws in the air with his eyes on a test pattern!...

Back