No longer wasting Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Best thing is that on kegging day, the cleaning, sanitizing and purging will already be done. Great brew day today in the northeast.
15B0D0E0-9987-4567-B499-393A125BE007.jpeg

Silicone is one of the most O2-permeable plastics. Pretty much anything else is better.
If you're relying on fermentation gasses to purge kegs you probably want to minimize O2 pickup.
It's too bad because silicone tubing is so pliable it makes any fixture setup easy, but it's not a great thing to put in line with purging your final packaging...

Cheers!

Silicone is one of the most O2-permeable plastics. Pretty much anything else is better.
If you're relying on fermentation gasses to purge kegs you probably want to minimize O2 pickup.
It's too bad because silicone tubing is so pliable it makes any fixture setup easy, but it's not a great thing to put in line with purging your final packaging...

In lieu of not having Kapton tape on hand to wrap around the silicone tubing, anything else that could be used in a pinch? Aside from using vinyl tubing, which isn't a good O2 barrier either.

Garden hoses are often (but not always) made of EPDM rubber which has very good oxygen barrier characteristics.

I know, I too have some doubt, considering I've been doing the Star San purge process for a couple years now and the comfort it conveys is solid - as the results are undeniable. It's hard to argue with a process that allows a massively hopped neipa to sit in a keg for 6 months and still be wonderful on tapping, visually and character-wise.

But...it is a bit of a pita, and an "automagic" process would be preferable - if the results stand up. So I'm going to give the gas purge thing a try, have most of the plumbing from two of my ferm chambers ready, just need a few more plastic bits to arrive to put it in action with another 10 gallon batch of my big ass stout. Given the 1.107 OG there should be plenty of CO2 - or whatever the wee beasties produce - to purge both kegs.

The only fly in the ointment is it's not a particularly revealing style wrt oxidation, so this will be more of a dry run of the system.
But I'll have to do another batch of one of my neipa recipes soon enough, and it'll be best to have everything debugged in advance...

Cheers!

I know that I'm probably overly paranoid but I can't convince myself that a gas-only purge gets all the oxygen out. It's probably close enough.

So it would be better to fill the kegs with sanitizer, and let the fermentation push it out with CO2?

Or maybe fill just the first keg, and let the sanitizer get pushed into the second keg, and then finally into a bucket?

I've been meaning to try using fermenting to purge kegs, I buy too much CO2...

Back