No kraeusen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
should i be worried about no formation of kraeusen during initial fermintation period

Need more details than that.

What type of yeast are you using? How long since you pitched it? What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched it? What is the ambient temperature of the room where your fermentor is?

dry windsor yeast pitched 2 days ago with good airlock activity wort was 68o F room is about 65-72oF

airlock activity is a terrible metric.. but that said, what is "good airlock activity".. how many bubbles per minute, about?

It sounds like you have an extremely slow starting fermentation, or a very weak fermentation.

Judging from the linked thread above, I put my money on weak fermentation. quick fix... pitch a vial of WLP002 into it. Can't hurt.

DO you have a gravity decrease? Honestly, the amount of krausen present and/or airlock bubbling or lack of it, are irrevelant if you have fermentation.....

And the only way you truly know if you have fermentation is with a gravity reading.

i brewed a witbier that had no krausen at all during fermentation, it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks and a sample tasted great, should be a really good beer in a couple of weeks.

Back