No Hydrometer Measure p is it a big deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slheinlein

Reaction score
Did my first batch and everything went good until my airlock seal fell into brew (another thread). In all the excitement, I forgot to do an initial gravity check. Is this a big deal or should I try to get one now? It been about 12 hours since I put the yeast in. I am concerned that I risk more damage than its worth at this point.

I suspect that this, as your first batch, is an extract-only or extract + steeping grain recipe?

If so, provided that you have the correct volume for the recipe, the OG should be as written in the recipe. No need to test now; leave that fermenter alone for a couple of weeks (or, as an absolute minimum, 10 days) before fussing with a gravity reading.

I suspect that this, as your first batch, is an extract-only or extract + steeping grain recipe?

If so, provided that you have the correct volume for the recipe, the OG should be as written in the recipe. No need to test now; leave that fermenter alone for a couple of weeks (or, as an absolute minimum, 10 days) before fussing with a gravity reading.

Yes, this is a extract-only. Tried to keep it as simple as possible..

Go with flyangler's advice, don't muck about with it until after 10 - 14 days. Printed OGs for extract kits are usually pretty spot on. Close enough for government work anyway.

Back