No Hydrometer, Krausen Fell, Bubbles Slow, What Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DxS12

Reaction score
Hi HomeBrewers,

First time brewer here and this forum has been extremely helpful so far. I do have a quick questions which I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I recently brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale. Being a newb, I didn't purchase a hydrometer or anything to regulate the temperature of my carboy. The yeast seemed pretty active 24 hours after I start fermenting, but 4 days into the process, the Krausen fell and the bubbles in the airlock have really slowed. I'm now on day 5 and I get one or two bubbles per minute. The weather has fluctuated quite a bit here in the last few days. Without this equipment (which I have since purchased), what's the best way to gauge when I'm ready to move to the secondary?

Thanks for you help!

Without temperature control the yeast will produce diactyl in large amounts.
Yeast will eat this chemical after all the sugar is gone but
ONLY IF YOU GIVE IT THE TIME TO DO SO.
I personally let everything sit in primary for a month.
The yeast at the bottom of your bucket/carboy will NOT negatively affect your beer that early.

Long story short---
wait 3 more weeks then go to secondary.

And I'm assuming your Carboy isn't covered if you can see all this going on so cover it up with a sweater or something. Light is beer's kryptonite.

And wait a few weeks. Waiting pays off in the finished product and post some pics of your first homebrew when it's done!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Now you buy a hydrometer. I cannot stress that enough.

edit: I have since worked on my reading skills. Brew on!

So you have a hydrometer and cooling device? If the former, take readings until you reach target Final Gravity. IRA was my first couple of batches as well. If the latter, take the readings, adjust to optimal yeast fermentation temp and let it ride a little longer to help clean up any thing that can still be cleaned up.

Second have a beer and mull this over. Then do whatever you're going to do anyway.

Brew the next batch cause these are going to need to sit awhile!

General consensus I've found on here is that 3 weeks in the fermenter is reasonable. I went ahead and just did that for my first batch and it turned out great (except for some off flavors that I'm certain came from my room being ~70-71F).

Usually do two weeks in the primary before dry hopping a week. No need for secondary so wait another week and a half or two (I know it's painful) then bottle and wait some more.

The first batch is so hard not to babysit every hour, but your beer needs time and that will give you a chance to brew the next batch. Once you get a pipeline or rotation going it does get easier.

Congrats on your new obsession and cheers!

Usually do two weeks in the primary before dry hopping a week. No need for secondary so wait another week and a half or two (I know it's painful) then bottle and wait some more.

The first batch is so hard not to babysit every hour, but your beer needs time and that will give you a chance to brew the next batch. Once you get a pipeline or rotation going it does get easier.

Congrats on your new obsession and cheers!

Having a chamber, or a closet you can stick it in helps a bunch....its the only way i can do Ciders...set them up to ferment, stick in the closet, set an alert in 8 months on my phone, come back in 8 months and keg ;)

Thank you all for the advice! My beer is now wearing a sweater and my hydrometer should be here on tomorrow. I have my carboy in the basement right now, but may move it upstairs where it's warmer (if I can make room in a closet).

So, another question from the newb, what are the benefits/drawbacks of keeping beer in the primary and not moving to a secondary? The recipe called for leaving it in primary for 1-2 week and secondary 2-4 weeks.

IMG_3196.jpg

Moving to secondary boosts the risk of infection and/or oxidation. If you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem.

So, another question from the newb, what are the benefits/drawbacks of keeping beer in the primary and not moving to a secondary? The recipe called for leaving it in primary for 1-2 week and secondary 2-4 weeks.

Those recipe instructions (let me guess - Brewers Best?) are based on outdated home brewing practices and really do need to be updated. Getting the beer "off the yeast" as quickly as possible is important in commercial brewing operations for reasons (like yeast autolysis) that don't apply to our little 5-10 gallon batches.

Most people don't use secondaries. The 2nds can be used to bulk age beer, to add flavors (dry hops and fruit), and to promote clarity. You can generally get clear beer by leaving it in the primary longer (3 - 4 wks).

I have never used a 2nd and would not use one unless making fruit beer.

It's cool you bought a hydrometer. Now buy a spare. I guarantee you'll thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was planning to start a 2nd batch, this time an IPA, next week. Should I brew a little less and put it in the clean secondary (5 gal) carboy or should I put my current brew in the secondary and use my 6gal carboy for a 5 gallon batch?

@BigFloyd It's from Northern Brewer, which has been my go to for supplies. Is there a better online distributor that you recommend?

@brewbama I bought my hydrometer on Amazon Prime (for the fast shipping) and with a bday coming up, I've shared my brewing wishlist with some family members (which includes a 2nd hydrometer), so I may be getting a backup soon. ;)

Without temperature control the yeast will produce diactyl in large amounts.
Yeast will eat this chemical after all the sugar is gone but
ONLY IF YOU GIVE IT THE TIME TO DO SO.
I personally let everything sit in primary for a month.
The yeast at the bottom of your bucket/carboy will NOT negatively affect your beer that early.

Long story short---
wait 3 more weeks then go to secondary.

Diacetyl is produced under like 63F, pretty much exclusively (or at least above that temperature it's eaten as fast as it's made). I've never met a newbie who wasn't brewing at 68+. I sure was.

Anyway, don't rack off the yeast to secondary, he's right about that at least. Buy a hydrometer, it costs less than anything else you bought to brew with. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O94I0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 That is the only way to know you're absolutely done fermenting. If you absolutely won't, yes, let it sit for a month, not because of diacetyl but because you don't know if your fermentation is going slow and because if it isn't done, your bottles will be overcarbed and could even explode.

Edit: I see now that I read the whole thread you're way ahead of me. Now that you are (hopefully) abandoning the secondary, you can abandon the airlock and perhaps even the carboy and have near-infinite brewing capacity because food-safe buckets cost $4 each. Sky's the limit from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back