No hop aroma after dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi i recently brewed the russian river clone from this site and added 32g of simcoe loose into primary on day 6, i left it for 4 days then cold crashed for 3 days at 4C.
The taste out of the fermenter was really nice with a noticable hop aroma.
I kegged it and had a taste 4 days later and although it is by far my best beer yet it has no aroma at all?? what do you guys recommend to get some aroma into my finished beer?
cheers!

Hi i recently brewed the russian river clone from this site and added 32g of simcoe loose into primary on day 6, i left it for 4 days then cold crashed for 3 days at 4C.
The taste out of the fermenter was really nice with a noticable hop aroma.
I kegged it and had a taste 4 days later and although it is by far my best beer yet it has no aroma at all?? what do you guys recommend to get some aroma into my finished beer?
cheers!
When I dry hop usually go a minimum 5 days and have had some luck but that was with bottling.

I would guess that the aroma has escaped with the CO2. Maybe consider dry hopping in the keg next time around.

When I dry hop usually go a minimum 5 days and have had some luck but that was with bottling.

I would guess that the aroma has escaped with the CO2. Maybe consider dry hopping in the keg next time around.
Thanks Histo, ill try 5 days next time. How much dry hops would you add to a 9L keg of simcoe pale ale?

Is this a 5 gallon batch? If so that is an very small dryhop for a Russian River clone. You’re typically looking at least for a .8-1.0 oz/per gallon or 23-28 gr/gallon. That being said, you should still be getting some aroma. There are two things that can happen, one is that your beer just needs time for the beer to condition a bit in the keg and have the carb set properly. After that the aroma will be noticeable better. The next possible is that your are serving it too cold as the aroma compounds won’t escape the beer. You really want to go no lower than like 44-42*f on an IPA. If your temp is colder than that, set it to that warmer temp and you should see a difference. In the mean time let the beer warm up a tad after the pour and you’ll see an increase in aroma

Is this a 5 gallon batch? If so that is an very small dryhop for a Russian River clone. You’re typically looking at least for a .8-1.0 oz/per gallon or 23-28 gr/gallon. That being said, you should still be getting some aroma. There are two things that can happen, one is that your beer just needs time for the beer to condition a bit in the keg and have the carb set properly. After that the aroma will be noticeable better. The next possible is that your are serving it too cold as the aroma compounds won’t escape the beer. You really want to go no lower than like 44-42*f on an IPA. If your temp is colder than that, set it to that warmer temp and you should see a difference. In the mean time let the beer warm up a tad after the pour and you’ll see an increase in aroma
this was for a 17 liter batch, ive got another one in primary so ill up the dry hops. My beer fridge is set pretty cold at about 4C so ill warm it up a bit, cheers for the reply

this was for a 17 liter batch, ive got another one in primary so ill up the dry hops. My beer fridge is set pretty cold at about 4C so ill warm it up a bit, cheers for the reply
Alright, that’s rough 4.5 gallons I think. Here is some brand new dryhopping science on times
87D887DC-E0F0-4C9B-9161-F3E4FC0BB0C4.jpeg
756E9F7F-DC48-4BAF-AEEC-7865ABD0FF4C.jpeg
1589896D-9C99-4DEB-B7DB-69AC176D71C9.jpeg

Attachments

• 58924337-F103-44AC-BFA9-1E75AC3F27CF.jpeg
    58924337-F103-44AC-BFA9-1E75AC3F27CF.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 33
If you have a e-reader, Janish’s ebook just came out.

His new (2019) book, "The New IPA" is also available in paper back; more info on the book here: http://scottjanish.com/the-new-ipa-scientific-guide-to-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

Collectively, those who post at /r/homebrewing/ were pretty exited about the book: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin...ok_me_over_two_years_but_my_book_the_new_ipa/

He is the Ipa guy, specifically NEIPA guy.

IMHO, if one thinks of this book as being just for those who brew NEIPAs, one is missing a lot of (currently) advanced information that applies to many beer styles.

Last edited:
His new (2019) book, "The New IPA" is also available in paper back; more info on the book here: http://scottjanish.com/the-new-ipa-scientific-guide-to-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

Collectively, those who post at /r/homebrewing/ were pretty exited about the book: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin...ok_me_over_two_years_but_my_book_the_new_ipa/

IMHO, if on thinks of this book as being just for those who brew NEIPAs, one is missing a lot of (currently) advanced information that applies to many beer styles.

This short thread (https://old.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin...er_two_years_but_my_book_the_new_ipa/epjzs9j/) matches what I thought after skimming, then reading, the ebook.
I didn’t realize it cane out in paperback. I got it the first day it was digitally released.

Well it is called “ the new ipa” so of course it’s geared towards hopping and hazy beers lol that is pretty much all he had ever really published, that and about different fermentation conditions for ester production. I think it’s a great resource if you’re making any hippie style and will allow commercial breweries a greater profit margin on the style by using less hops to achieve their goals

Hi i recently brewed the russian river clone from this site and added 32g of simcoe loose into primary

I am curious what clone recipe this was and for what Russian River beer? I am on board with the other guys that say 32g is just not enough hops if you want a hoppy aroma. The Pliny the Elder clone from the AHA site has 105 grams of dry hops (along with 99 grams at flameout).

It was the row 2 hill 56 clone by Jukas for a 17L batch
I have another batch of this 3 days into primary (26L) would love to get a strong simcoe aroma with this one

Back