No Head??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So, My first batch I ever made did not really impress me too much. Though I wasnt expecting it too comming from Mr. Beers recipe of Pale ale. I bottled them in the plastic 1liter bottles. I used Muntons carbonation tablets used about 10 of them in each bottle I believe. Muntons said for highly carbonated 12oz bottles use about 5. When I poured my first beer out there was no foam not highly carbonated, but i could see it bubbling. No Head (no pun inteneded haha).

I just bottled my second batch of my own hefeweizen not from Mr beer at all. I only used there fermentor because I do like the 2 gallon batch size.

How long did you wait? and did you refrigerate them for a few days at least?

I waited bout 2 weeks. was in the fridge for bout 2 days I belive. I just threw another in about 3days ago will try that one out i think on Monday to see how that one is.

what was the temp where they sat before the fridge? I usually let it sit for 3 weeks minimum at 70F.

Good deal. Best way to check progress sometimes.Although ive been buying some bottle conditioned bells and smutty and others off the shelf(not fridge) and finding they taste better over a period of a week. Ive noticed its significantly better on day 7. Although ive noticed a Bells 2 hearted already refrigerated,drinking my last of the six pack wasnt as good as the others. My point is sometimes your tastes change as well because ive had those beers not consistantly tasting the same. (A regular six pack off the shelf)
when it comes to brewing your your own judge really so do what works for you, but like most people say your last beer will be your best. Give it some fridge time too.

No head is indeed a cruel fate;)

There is however a difference between seeing no head and not being carbonated and you do described seeing bubbles. It could be as simple as the glass you are using. You could try cleaning your glass with one of the designated cleansers such as 5 star PBW or even white vinegar to remove residual detergent, rinsing well and letting dry completely. Then pour aggresively and see how it comes out.

I've never used the tablets but it sounds like you used close to the right amount. Next time just use sugar.

I use 3/4 cup of Dextrose for a well carbonated pale ale and a little less than half for a beer that is less carbonated, like a stout.

Look up some carbonation charts, they give a sugar amount per 5 gallons to reach any particular carbonation profile. Did you mean 3/4 cup per 5 gallon estoppel?
I usually like the carbonation from about 3 grams of dextrose per 12 ounce bottle, but that's been for my generic IPAs

3/4 cup per 5 gallon batch yes. Any more, an you'd have over-carbonated beer. In fact, I brewed a blonde ale that ended up being way over carbonated with just 3/4 cup late last year. When I drink a bottle, I usually crack it, poor it and then leave it in the fridge for 15 or 20 minutes.

Back