No head..more time or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKiRkLeS

Reaction score
So my coffee stout has been in the keg for a little more than 2 weeks. It's been at about 40 degrees and 25PSI. There is next to no head and it does not seem too carbonated.

Anyone have an idea if this may need more time or if it could be a flaw with the beer? It taste and smells the way I wanted it to...just no head.

Thanks for the help.

Patience, Patience, Patience

Are you sure you are getting pressure at the keg? 2 weeks is a long time with no carb.

Are you sure you are getting pressure at the keg?

That's my first guess too. Either there is 25 psi at the regulator and the valve is shut off between the regulator and keg, or the gauge is just broke. But 25 psi at 40 for 2 weeks should be over 3.5 volumes of co2.

Try venting the keg. You should be able to hear the gas refilling the keg right after venting. If not, the gas isn't getting to the keg. Some possible causes are a stuck poppet, check valve installed backwards, broken reg, valve turned off, blockage in manifold, etc. If it was carbonated with no head it could be a problem with the beer, but no carbonation and no head mean not enough gas getting to the beer.

What psi are you dispensing at?

Any chance this is over-carbed and over-pressure for dispensing, so you're just blowing all the CO2 right out of solution as you dispense?

Does it pour a glass of foamy, seemingly un-carbonated beer?

After I release the gas it fills back up. I dropped the pressure down to under 10 to pour. There seems to be a small layer of foam but not the presence of head.

I brewed a coffee stout once, and it had little to no head at all. My guess was the coffee oils killing it.

Back