No head first pour, better second

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
So I looked and couldnt find much, so forgive me because I'm sure this is already out there, but I have a keg that always pours very slow and flat, with ZERO head on the first pour. Subsequent pours are better. During that pour, I can hear CO2 entering the keg. The beer IS carbed, almost a little too much for the style. This happens daily anytime he keg sits longer than about 15 hours.

I'm running 10 ft of 3/16" line and doing the "set and forget" method at 12 psi and 40F. The entire length of the line is coiled on top of the keg and sits in the kegerator. I'm using a picnic tap until I get my setup complete. I do have a second keg that I'm serving from at the moment using the same length of the same tubing and it pours much better and I don't hear CO2 entering the keg during the ANY pour. I also am not leaking CO2 from the bottle at least.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Have you checked your post on the keg? Sometimes they arnt as tight and will leak C02. Also I know my first pour if I don't pour a beer in a couple of days the beer in the line will go a little flat, full pours usually get enough carbed beer to balance. I have 10ft lines too.

I take that part about the post back. After thinking about it if that was the case you would have too much carbonation due to it getting in the lines so that's not the issue.

The beer in my lines goes flat. I run 5 ft, 3/16 lines and notice the lack of carbonation in half pours. Not so much in a full pour, but I like to do half pours and rotate through my 4 beers on tap.

Sometimes I just run out the first couple ounces flat of beer out of the line, down it, then pour my real beer.

In this case, the first full pint is flat. And what accounts for hearing CO2 enter the keg while pouring only the first pint, but not thereafter? My other keg I'm serving from doesn't do that...ever.

I think I figured it out. Simple of course. The gas disconnect was not fully seated just ever so slightly and unnoticeably. Not enough to leak gas from the tank, but just maybe just enough to vent the headspace.

Back