No fizz in my lemon soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I made 4 sodas on Friday, 3 ginger ales (Yooper's, mease19's ad my own recipe) and a lemon soda (this one from chickenetti https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f171/light-lemon-soda-259591/). The three ginger ales carbed fine, but the lemon soda did not carbonate AT ALL.

I did waiver from the recipe by using bottled lemon juice rather than fresh (it's what I had). Did that alone keep the yeast from being able to survive long enough to eat the sugar?

I used a pack of Lavlin D47 rehydrated in 8 tablespoons of warm water, and then put 2 tablespoons in each of the 2-litre bottles.

If you used "ReaLemon" juice that does have preservatives (two kinds of sulfites.) I use this stuff in the skeeter pee recipe on this site and you have to make a double starter and let the water/sugar/juice mixture sit for a day or two to let the preservatives off gas.

Did the lemon soda ever get going?

Back