No fermentation....please help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbauer210

Reaction score
I has been about 22 hours since pitching the yeast into a Sierra Clone and still no action. At about 15 hours I shook the crap out of the fermenter and got about 2 or 3 bubbles out of the airlock a couple hours later. Now back to nothing again. I used a White Labs California Ale Yeast in a pitchable tube. The yeast was fresh. I let the tube warm up to room temp for about 4 hours before pitching. I violently shook and stired the wart before puting the lid on it. The wart was cooled to about 70 degrees when it when in. I have kept the fermenter between 68 to 75 degrees. I checked the seal around the bucket and it all looks good. I dont get it. I have a pack of dry ale yeast in the fridge. How much longer should I wait before trying to pitch that one? What eles could be the problem? Any help pleaaaaase!

My advice, is the same advice that has been given to me. Relax. Give it another day or so, then if nothing happens I would definately ask for advice from one of the more senior guys. I am dealing with a similar situation right now.

I think even though White Labs is supposed to be pitchable, I will be making a starter in the future. Probably a good idea, no matter what the situation and most of the more experienced brewers recommend it.

22 hours isn't nearly long enought to worry - but do a search on "starters" for next time. Dry yeast doesn't need one, liquid usually does.

Liquid yeast can take up to 4 days and even longer depending on the temps to start vigorous fermentation. I dont know why white labs even calls this "pitchable". Dont worry though, your brew will be fine, it'll just take a little longer. Here's some tips:

Get involved in the whole re-using, making starters hoopla OR
Simply use dry yeast

Mike-H said:
Liquid yeast can take up to 4 days and even longer depending on the temps to start vigorous fermentation. I dont know why white labs even calls this "pitchable". Dont worry though, your brew will be fine, it'll just take a little longer. Here's some tips:

Get involved in the whole re-using, making starters hoopla OR
Simply use dry yeast

Yup - I tried it once and couldn't find a reason to use it again.

Glad I'm cheap and just use dry yeast - have yet (knocking on wood) to need a starter and it has always started close to 12hrs.

Nothing wrong with dry yeast IMO.

dcbrewmeister said:
Yup - I tried it once and couldn't find a reason to use it again.

Glad I'm cheap and just use dry yeast - have yet (knocking on wood) to need a starter and it has always started close to 12hrs.

Nothing wrong with dry yeast IMO.

I agree. I use dry yeast and have never waited more than 12 hours. Just racked on a dry yeast cake and It went within 45 minutes!

1/4 the price of liquid to boot and it's easier to keep.

Dried yeast does a great job every time. Some people object to the neutral fermentation, but unless you are doing something like a Belgian, I call it a positive.

What are the pros and cons to using dry yeast as opposed to liquid? I always just assumed the liquid was better because it cost more. I know it sounds stupid but I never spent too much time researching my yeast. I just match whatever liquid strand works with my beer style.

Dry yeasts tend to be limited in their range of selection and most are fairly neutral. Using liquid, you can dial in your flavors more and there is quite a large selection to choose from. I keep a supply of dry on hand and use liquid when I am trying to emulate a specific type of beer.

Back