No evidence of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB_Brewing2

Reaction score
I made some meads about ten years ago that turned out really nice. A couple weeks ago a friend gave me 12 lbs. of honey from his hives. I thought I was following the same recipe that I used way back yet have seen no fermentation evidence. What I did:

6 lbs. of honey mixed with a couple gallons of warm water in a sterilized carboy.
Added the remaining 6 lbs. of honey and toped it off with more water to get to 4.5 gallons in the carboy.
Pitched a package of Lalvin D47 according to directions.
After two weeks and no fermentation, I pitched a second package of D47.
The carboy now sits in our 66 degree basement protected from light with an airlock which has yet to bubble.

Please tell me how I screwed up. Thanks!

What's your hydrometer show? A lack of bubbles may simply be due to poor seals between the bung and carboy and/or between the airlock and grommet. If the hydrometer is showing the same gravity as when you pitched the yeast the first time then you may want to check to see what the pH is.

Give it a shake. If there's been fermentation then there's probably CO2 in suspension. Just be careful you don't create a geyser. D47 is pretty reliable, hard to believe you wouldn't have gotten anything.

Give it a shake. If there's been fermentation then there's probably CO2 in suspension. Just be careful you don't create a geyser. D47 is pretty reliable, hard to believe you wouldn't have gotten anything.

I'm lazy and didn't use a hydrometer; just like the first time I made mead. Gave it a good shake and will check it later. Would too low of a temp cause this? Basement temp is probably at least 65F. ???

No, D47 likes 65 degrees. It likes above 70 degrees too, but the mead tastes nasty if you brew above 70 with D47.

You said you mixed 6 lbs. of honey with a couple gallons of warm water. What was your total volume?

No, D47 likes 65 degrees. It likes above 70 degrees too, but the mead tastes nasty if you brew above 70 with D47.

You said you mixed 6 lbs. of honey with a couple gallons of warm water. What was your total volume?

Probably just under 5 gallons; 12 lbs of honey total. I do remember that the mead I made 10 years or so ago used a 6.5 gallon carboy but I don't see that making a difference.

Any yeast nutrients? I have done a few meads. I got more fermentstion with yeast utrients then without. My cyser was pretty calm slow fermentation.

Any yeast nutrients? I have done a few meads. I got more fermentstion with yeast utrients then without. My cyser was pretty calm slow fermentation.

I have some but didn't use any as I hadn't used any on the first meads I made. This has me stumped.

Take hydro reading. Take another after 48 hours see if its just a slow fermentation. If there is yeast cake at bottom its probly a slow fermentation.

Has the must changed in appearance. It should be foamy and changing colors. You say you are too lazy to use a hydrometer, don't want to use nutrients and are going by a 10 year old memory?

Take hydro reading. Take another after 48 hours see if its just a slow fermentation. If there is yeast cake at bottom its probly a slow fermentation.

Thank you, will do. I was using a 10 year old written recipe. No foam, cloudy yellowish color. This was a last minute thing with little time to complete. (Friend comes over late with honey and says "Let's make mead!") Properly sanitized a carboy with Starsan along with airlock and bung.

Typically I brew 10 gallon ales and judiciously use a hydrometer and yeast nutrient. Didn't know about using a yeast nutrient in meads.

Back