No ending notes in my belian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcturbo

Reaction score
Not sure why, but my Belgian wit has a great taste in the beginning tastes of coriander and orange, but the ending tastes only like water. Any suggestions why this is.
I do normal 5 gal extract brewing

So I'm not sure if I'm entirely clear on what you're looking for at the end. Was it entirely wheat extract that you used for the recipe, or were there steeping grains (or sugars) as well? Its possible that you feel like the mouthfeel is lacking a little, which could be replaced with a little bit of steeping grains. You could include a little flaked oats or flaked wheat to contribute some proteins and dextrins to the mouthfeel, or include an equal amount of 2-row and do a minimash so they also give you some fermentables. You could also steep a little light crystal (say C10 or C20) to give it a touch of sweetness and a bit of body. If what you're thinking its missing is more of a malty note, you could even include a little aromatic or melanoidin malt to simulate a decoction. With all these, the amounts will depend on what flavors you're looking for and the rest of the recipe.

Its also possible that what you think you're missing could be replaced with the yeast. Which yeast did you use to brew it, and at what temp did you ferment? A good Belgian yeast fermented at the right temps can give you a little bit of spicy phenol that tends to stick around a bit, which might be what you're looking for.

Back