No cones on my plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So this was my first year growing hops and I know not to expect much for a first year harvest but should I have any hops on my plant?

I'm in New England and I planted it late (early june I think). So since it was late will it still produce but later? Is it possible to get a male with rhizomes?

A male will produce flowers that look like bells at first, whereas a female grows white tendrils before budding. Any pics you have would help

male hop.jpg

female hop.jpg

June is pretty late.....planting season is usually early April. You may just not get anything this year, by the time they would be flowering your climate up there in late September/October will just be too cold im guessing..

I live in northern new england and I planted 18 rhizomes this year in late May, Cascade, Cent., and Magnum. I have a decent crop of cascade, a few cent. and no magnums. My cascades grew about twice as tall as anything else, so I guess it might depend on what varieties you planted? You shouldn't expect much the first year, especially with a late planting in a northern zone.

NicoleBrewer said:
I'm in New England and I planted it late (early june I think). So since it was late will it still produce but later? Is it possible to get a male with rhizomes?

I'm in CT and I have the identical situation. I'm not much of a green thumb but I'm chalking it up to horrific weather pattern for new plants. By me we had a pretty good stretch of weather at the beginning then tons of rain for 3 weeks. To the point I was dumping out a few inches of rain water from the pots every day after work. That was followed by a 3 week stretch of 90 deg + heat wave type weather.

After all that, my goal became: keep them alive for next year. So far so good.

Last year we planted Cascade & Willamette hops. At harvest we had 2 oz fresh hops from the Cascade & zero from the Willamette. This year, 3lbs from the Cascade & 1 oz from the Willamette. The Willamette grew to the top of our trellis (15') just like the Cascades, but will need another year before a good harvest. Your hops will be fine. Don't let the first year get you down. Next year they will produce vines 2-4 times the diameter of this year's and many more cones.

I'm in Southern N.H. and have first year cascade, Mt. Hood, and Willamette planted in late April. Cascade hit 15ft tall and has about 60-75 hops on it. Mt. Hood and Willamette both about 13ft tall but neither flowered at all. I think there's something to be said for the variety of hops you choose to grow.

ForumRunner_20130831_131812.jpg

ForumRunner_20130831_131827.jpg

ForumRunner_20130831_131852.jpg

ForumRunner_20130831_131911.jpg

This is what my "ruler" looks like:

First year: If you've kept the plants alive then you've done fine; if you get any yield then consider yourself lucky ;)
Second year: Anything larger than a small yield per plant and you've done fine; plants should get good height (8+ feet)
Third year: Enjoy a bountiful yield and long bines (15+ feet)

I guess if that's how you look at it...

I call it realistic :D

A male will produce flowers that look like bells at first, whereas a female grows white tendrils before budding. Any pics you have would help

Whoa...I ordered a Columbus crown early this year. Two crowns were in the bag. I have had good yield being the first year ( probably 5 oz dried) but I have had both types of flowers. How strange, it's got my gears turning....

Back