No choice.. Melomel on fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantastic01SS

Reaction score
I just racked a batch of strawberry melomel and got word that I'll be deploying...again. Is it okay to bulk age mead on the fruit for a year-ish? I don't have much choice on what happens to it next, just trying to guess what my post deployment drink will taste like.

I think I would take it off the fruit at the last minute and then bulk age to see what you have a year down the road. Probably you will have something that is pretty tasty.

How long before you leave? I would NOT leave it on that long, it might start to mould/rot.

I just racked a batch of strawberry melomel and got word that I'll be deploying...again. Is it okay to bulk age mead on the fruit for a year-ish? I don't have much choice on what happens to it next, just trying to guess what my post deployment drink will taste like.

I've left mead/melomel on fruit in secondary for as long as 9 months with no problems. Regards, GF.

Leaving mead sitting on fruit for extended time can sometimes cause sulfur odors and off flavors to develop. It doesn't happen every time, and in cases where it does not occur the mead can sit quietly on fruit for as long as you like. In cases where you get sulfur odor or odd flavors, you may lose the batch. I try not to risk it, but if you don't have a choice, it may still work out OK.

If you haven't sulfited it, that may also be a good thing to do to keep lactic acid bacteria out of it.

Back