No chill-hop steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
As winter approaches and I grow seriously tired or chilling the wort at the end of the brew day, no chill is starting to look like something worth a try.

Ive searched the web, and looked over the hop utilization chart and have tried to come up with a way to recreate the whirpool hop addition I do followed by a 30 min steep at just post boil temps. Is there any reason that I couldn't do the following to mimic the same but with no chill? I've found steeping the flameout/whirpool hops (Stone, Firestone Walker, etc) really bring out hop flavor. So:

1. Kill flame, start whirpool just knock down temp slightly from boiling.
2. Toss in whirpool/flameout addition into kettle, but this time the hops are kept in a paint strainer.
3. Pull hops out of the wort
4. Proceed with no chill as usual.

I hate the idea of using bags to contain kettle hops, but I also don't want the whirpool addition to lose any flavor. I'm looking for maximum hop flavor with this addition, and am perfectly fine with giving up aroma, that's what dry hops are for. Ideas and comments either way are appreciated. Also, anyone try no chill by leaving the wort in the kettle covered? I'm willing to get the hdpe container listed in the thread but can't see any reason a trial batch this way would hurt.

Back