NO chill funnel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anbowden

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a no chill brew day planned for tomorrow and just realized I don’t have a funnel rated for boiling wort. Mine is the typical 10” plastic funnel.
Any ideas on something that will get me by in the meantime?

Let the wort cool in the kettle to 140°F or less. Cover the lid with paper towels saturated with sanitizer to help keep the wort protected. Could also chance the short contact time with the funnel you have. Wouldn't worry at all if the funnel was purchased for use in the kitchen.

What are you trying to funnel into? Is your kettle ported? I just use silicone tubing from my ball valve into my no chill vessel.

Forget about pouring the boiling wort into any vessel that requires a funnel unless that vessel is designed for boiling liquids. Glass will shatter and many plastics will melt or distort at that temperature. Look at what type of material the container is made from and then research its temperature rating.

Back