No change in SG after 2 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
I brewed a Consecrstion clone 2 months ago. I mashed high(156) and fermented with abbey ale for a week, cold crashed and transferred to secondary with currants. The SG was 1.018 when I transferred and I added a smack pack of Wyeast Brett L. I just checked the gravity yesterday, after 8 weeks with the Brett, and it was still at 1.018. It did have some cherry notes, but it didn't taste very funky yet. I pitched some dregs from a jolly pumpkin bottle and I was planning on adding Roselare soon. Does Brett usually take a long time to show a change in gravity? Should I repitch a new pack or just go ahead with the Roselare?

sometimes brett can be very slow in the secondary, i would have expected a change within 8 weeks, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong. what temperature do you have it at? the roselare and JP dregs will have brett in it, so no need to add another pack on top

That beer has a long way to age, pitch the roselare now and let it ride for a year before you even think about taking a sample again. There is a lot of complex sugars in that beer between the specialty malts and then those currants. I did that recipe and its 20 months old now and 1.012, its done I just havent gotten around to bottling.

Thanks for the reassurance Coff. I didn't think it would take that long to show a change, but I'm sure the Roselare and dregs will eat away t the remaining sugars.

Latest posts

Back