No carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperdown

Reaction score
I've never had this happen before so I'm rather puzzled. I bottled/kegged up a nice ABA three weeks ago. I get a small puff of CO2 when i pop a bottle to test but there is no carbination! Used priming sugar (had some opened and didn't feel like opening my 3lb bag of DME) in the bottling bucket, gently stirred to mix and half bottled/kegged.

I haven't tried the kegged one yet. I can always force carbinate if needed but I'm really puzzled about the bottles. This is probably around my 60th batch and I've never had this happen. Yeast formed in the bottom of the bottle.

I think I'm going to let it sit for another 3 weeks (I usually test at 2, 3, and 4) so bottle conditioning for a total of 6 weeks and see what happens. If no bubbles are produced I'm thinking of pouring the bottles (gently of course) into a spare keg and force carbing it.

However, any ideas? I used one step for sanitizing and a rinse. I just started using one step. Before that was just bleach and some clean water for rinsing. Could there still be a residue issue?

Maybe try giving them all a gentle shake to get the yeast back in suspension then giving them a few more weeks. My oatmeal stout seems to be having some problems with carbing but they've only been in the bottle for 2 weeks. It also sat in secondary for about 3 weeks. So, i'd imagine the yeasts are a little tired. Maybe with some excitement they'll finish up the job.

Oh yeah, are you familiar with the bar Piper Down in SLC?

Maybe try giving them all a gentle shake to get the yeast back in suspension then giving them a few more weeks. My oatmeal stout seems to be having some problems with carbing but they've only been in the bottle for 2 weeks. It also sat in secondary for about 3 weeks. So, i'd imagine the yeasts are a little tired. Maybe with some excitement they'll finish up the job.

Oh yeah, are you familiar with the bar Piper Down in SLC?

It rings a familiar bell but I can't say I've ever been there. I didn't go to SLC that often except to go to Primary Childrens.

Back